J4J1 Cobra Computer in a GT?

2L8ULUZ2

Will kiss Moderator ass for title
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2000
WNC
After searching the forum and not finding the answer I was looking for I am turning to all of you tuning experts to help out. I think my computer is finally on the way out after 12yrs. My brother has a J4J1 computer that he said I could have if it would work. I have 24's in the car and I am running a Pro-M MAF that was supposed to be for 24's. Turns out it was set up for a 94-95 Cobra and since it compensates for the injector size in the computer and not the MAF I have been running a MAF that is calibrated right. Since I have access to a cobra computer and running 24's and have a MAF calibrated for a 94-95 cobra I assume that the computer will work just fine but I thought I would ask and see if anyone has already done it and what the outcome was. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

After searching the forum and not finding the answer I was looking for I am turning to all of you tuning experts to help out. I think my computer is finally on the way out after 12yrs. My brother has a J4J1 computer that he said I could have if it would work. I have 24's in the car and I am running a Pro-M MAF that was supposed to be for 24's. Turns out it was set up for a 94-95 Cobra and since it compensates for the injector size in the computer and not the MAF I have been running a MAF that is calibrated right. Since I have access to a cobra computer and running 24's and have a MAF calibrated for a 94-95 cobra I assume that the computer will work just fine but I thought I would ask and see if anyone has already done it and what the outcome was. Thanks in advance!

my advice would be to go to a local parts store and order a stock MAF for a 94-95 cobra , and that way it will be for sure right , I dont think your MAF would work without changing the transfer functions to dial it in, the car will probably run but probably wont run that great .....

my advice would be to go to a local parts store and order a stock MAF for a 94-95 cobra , and that way it will be for sure right , I dont think your MAF would work without changing the transfer functions to dial it in, the car will probably run but probably wont run that great .....

The Pro-M that I already have is for a 94-95 cobra. I think I would be backtracking by going with a stock MAF over the Pro-M that I already have. What is different between a stock cobra maf and a pro-m that is calibrated for a cobra?

The GT and Cobra mafs are the exact same part. The best result drivability wise will be the stock meter on the cobra eec with 24#inj.

IF in fact the meter is for a cobra eec that is supposed to have 24#inj. then there should not be a big problem. You may run into some drivability issues due to the transfer maybe being alittle off with a fooled maf though...but running the stock inj. for that eec might be a wash. The ProM is prob. a bigger higher flowing maf so it will prob. make more power.

FWIW the stock maf will work up to 290-300 rwhp.

transfer functions , injector slopes and several other things are different from a GT computer to a cobra computer , as far as if the MAF is correct I would contact PMAS and see if you can find out the transfer function for that part number MAF you have so you can see exactly what is going on with that