JLT CAI customers, please read...

JLTucker

May 25, 2004
Chesapeake VA
It has come to our attention that a few 2005 GT JLT kit customers have had an issue with their filters falling off while driving. If this happens, the car will go into “failsafe” mode and could stall. This has happened to a very small amount of customers; however, we found it necessary to issue a recall/fix for the problem.

It has been determined that the small filter clamp area and the added heat can distort the pipe end, resulting in the filter falling off. To fix this problem, we have a billet aluminum insert that will press into the end of the pipe, giving it rigidity and more surface area for the filter.

The insert is easily pressed in the MAF end of the pipe. It can be used dry or with a small amount of glue or epoxy. It's snug. Then once you mount the filter and tighten it till your hearts content it will all be rock solid!

I will be sending a formal letter to all customers, but posting here and other sites first to get the internet customers faster.

All kits will be going out with this installed from this point on!

Here are the options on the JLT insert:

1) Convert your car back to the stock air box and re-flash the computer to the stock tune. Send your JLT (pipe only) to JLT Performance 633 Marston Dr. Chesapeake, VA 23322. JLT will perform the fix or replace the pipe (if necessary) and return the pipe to you. This should take less then a week total turn around. Be sure to include a note with your name, address and phone #.

2) The insert can be sent to you to install. It may involve heating the pipe end with a heat gun and pressing the insert in with a hammer and a block of wood. The insert will be shipped to you as soon as we are notified you have chosen this option. If this is the best option for you, please contact JLT at [email protected]. If your not comfortable with this, please send me your pipe.

I sincerely regret this issue and apologize if it has happened to you. Please be assured it will be taken care of as fast as possible. If this is not a problem for you and your JLT, please disregard this notice.

Thank you,

Jay Tucker
JLT Performance, Inc.
757 335 1940

Please EMAIL me with your insert request.

• Sponsors (?)

I called Jay to get the fix and he sent the package right away. Since buying my CAI from Jay, I've had a few general questions/comments and he has provided outstanding customer support. Also, Jay's tuner, Brent at DTP Racing provides great customer service. Jay, thanks for backing your product and taking care of your customers.

I got my insert as well, and installed it. I must admit, though, it was a pain in the a$$. Even though I had just snugged the filter hose clap, there had been some "shrinkage" of the pipe, and it was a serious pita to get the new aluminum piece in there. Would have helped if I had a heat gun.

Some people may laugh or ridicule what I did, but I put about an inch of water in a pot, and got it to a boil, then place the pipe in there (on it's end) and let it stay in there a couple of minutes to soften it up. After doing this several times, and stretching it back out by trying to put the alum collar and dremeling it out a little, finally got it in. Oh yeah, a rubber hammer works great, too. And it's snug allright, ain't going anywhere.

That end should be good to go now.

Has anyone had their car dynod after install of the insert...be careful I had mine done and it made my car run way to RICH. These cars are very sensitve to air flow...you will need to retune after you put this in.

is that city driving? on the hwy, i can get 275 and still have 1/4 tank (1/2 way point of where i go)....i dont pay attention to city miles as much, i just fill 'er up every 10 days....

Well, I'm not about to pay for a dyno run !

I would still like somebody else to verify that the insert throws off the A/F mixture. If we get enough people who have positively verified this, then we can probably get Jay/Brent to come up with a new tune. One person making such a claim is hardly enough evidence.