job search woes

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
so ive been working for an Acura dealership for the past 7 months after getting my Associate of Applied Science degree in Automotive Technology and have come to the aweful realization that i dont want to fix cars for the rest of my life, or even for another 7 months for that matter. the industry is just so ridiculously dishonest. everyone wants to point fingers, and im sick of it. anyway ive been searching for another job recently, but have no idea where to even begin. i want somthing in business/finance. i dont have to make a ton of money down the line, just somthing decent. is there any way to break into this field? It's so hard to find jobs. i know there are probably a million out there, but i cant seem to find any. i dont mind starting at the bottom either.
What route did you all take to find/get the job you have?

• Sponsors (?)

I may move to India... that's where all the high level jobs are going. It sucks having to train them to take my job.

I'm going to start begging on off ramps, "will call in sick for pony money..."

Dont give up.

Look man its like this. Fewer and fewer young people are going into the skilled trades like you. You are a minority. Get a couple years experience, I know you hate the job you are doing now, but you have allready invested 2 years of college to it. Get 5 years experience in your field, go to work and look at this as a continued education.

I know this is hard for you to do because you are younge and inpatient. But if you stay the course, and put up with your situation for a little while, you will build a resume. Then you can market yourself, with some pretty powerfull incentives, and go to the highest bidder.

Been there, trust me.:lol:

Stick it out for a couple of years and learn as much about the business. Then consider opening your own shop. You'll never get rich working for someone else and you make all the decisions (good and bad)

Go do something you like. You only get one life so don't settle for anything besides what you truely want, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If that means you go back to school for two or four more years then do it.

Happiness is the most important thing in the world, what good is making a living but being unhappy ? That's as stupid as settling for a beautiful woman with no personality. Sure it's great now but what about 10 years down the road ?

04DarkShadowGT said:
If you dont like reading or homework, just stick to wrenching on peoples cars.
maybe its just me, but i find that comment highly offensive. :nono:
as a matter of fact, i had a very large amount of reading for my degree. at least one 1000+ page textbook per class. i had 12 automotive classes. i read every book cover to cover and had up to 5 classes per semester, plus 6 core classes. not even counting all the extra reading i did for smaller certifications on the side. thats all i did was read in college. it blew.