Learn me about 96 Cobras..

txredgt

10 Year Member
Oct 26, 2009
I feel like I'm way out of my realm of possiblities but there is a certain 96 cobra I'd love to own. I would love to get a termi but we all know the price tags for them. In particular I want a mystic, I know the color isn't for everyone but it's the car that made me fall in love with new gen mustangs. I've seen production #'s at 2000 for the mystics and I do know how expensive the paint is and exclusive to ford for an exact match. Any other info I should know? I know it's a 4.6 dohc and a bit docile in stock form but I'm ok with that for now, what is the stock suspension like? Ultimately I want to do a termi drivetrain swap and IRS as well but I want it to be mine and be clean. I even might swap in the 04 mystic interior at some point as well. Currently there is a 80k mile for 8500 obo and I would have to sell my car to purchase this one. Only thing that is keeping me from doing it is daily driving a mystic, 15 yr old car, insurance jump from the gt to cobra. What's some thoughts on this or anything else I have missed?

• Sponsors (?)

I would do a little more searching. There are a few on SVT Performance for less than that. I found a Mystic for $6,000 that had 80k miles. Found a supercharged mystic for around 9 I believe. They had a recall on 96 cobra's because they were overheating due to the AC condenser. Other than that, you are good on them.

Thanks for te info stumbaugh I was hoping you would be someone to chime in. I somewhat want to find a close to stock car for a while and then down the road make it my own. I know there have been more tha a few swap in termi drivetrains into aeros but is there any issues with this swap? It's a 15 yr old car so the obvious upkeep issues might be there but I don't foresee any major issues since it doesn't have many miles. My goals would be <100k miles and close to stock for 7ish. The supercharged one would be awesome but if something broke down my dd would be down at first so that's why I want to find a stockish one

Not a problem buddy. As far as I know, there have been 0 issues with the swap. I will ask a few people on SVTP that have done the swap and see how they like it. I love mystics, especially with 03/04 running gear.

If you decide to sell your car, let me know. I would like to have a nice new edge while I build my 98.

It does have a straight rear axle and gear ratio of I'd guess 3.55? I've never owned an aero and I've only been in a few that wernt even cobras so I'm trying to be an informed person before going further. Would the computers and clusters also be swapped into the 96 from the termi or could the computer be tuned with the dyno tune I would need?

You could just it tuned. Yes they are a straight axle. I do believe they are 3.55 from factory, but very well could be 3.23, I can't remember. The 96-98 have the Teksid aluminum blocks, and forged cranks from factory, so if you wanted to do a motor swap, I would take the rods out of the 03/04 motor, and buy some good pistons. At that point, you would have the best of the best. Then put the 03/04 cobra top end on it. That's what I would do anyways.

When looking at Mystics, make sure they have documentation proving its a real mystic, I have seen lots of clones.

I actually really like the 94-98 body style. On the 96-98 cobra's, all they need is a s281 spoiler to be perfect in my opinion.

Good to know penguin. And stumbaugh the s281 spoiler is one of the things I would consider changing and maybe just a small 95 cobra r hood too, I'm not too fond of the nostrils on the stock 96 cobra hoods but I could live with em.

Looking for a few more opinions.. I'll post pics of my car and it looks just like I want now, but I feel like I'm at the end of the road with my car. I still enjoy it but I'm looking for something a little different now.

Some of my small questions about the mystic is will the 03-04 cobra mirrors fit the 96's? Does the stock rears have upgraded splines and are they a little more narrow than the new edges? I want to swap an IRS and build that up instead of a sra since it will be a steer car And not track. Also, fuel system, is it return style or return less and pros/cons of whichever setup it has for future upgrading.

The 03/04 mirrors will fit, but you have to do some trimming on the bottom of the mirror, otherwise the black part of the mirror will have a slight overhang on the door.

The rears do not have upgraded parts. They are 28 spline. Yes they are a little bit more narrow than the 99/04 rears. You can do an IRS and it will be fine, the tires won't stick out or anything.

The 96 has a return style. One good thing about it is, that you don't have to have a special 255lph fuel pump for a 96 like you do for 98+. Return style fuel systems will support more HP than returnless.

Any other areas I am missing? I would put a new k member and do coil over in the front and the upgraded irs in the rear. I might try to go check it out a week from today and make sure it looks good. Would there be vin #'s on the motor to match to the body to make sure it all checks out and where could I verify that it's a legit mystic?

Run a carfax on it for sure. Ask him/her if they have the SVT certificate showing its a real Mystic. The passenger side valve cover will have a build stamp on it. I'm not sure where you can check the numbers to make sure they match tho.

A good K member/coilover set up would be a good idea to match the IRS.

Just one thing to remember about a mystic, if you wreck it or have any sort of fender bender that will require paint work, prepare for your insurance company to just total the car. Paint is ridiculously expensive for those cars.

As promised here's the most current pic of my car. Btw used some new detailing products on the wheels and it looks killer. Also used to same stuff on the taillights and headlights and wow it looks like glass. It's gonna be tough to see this one go if I go through with it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332720986.715727.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332720986.715727.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 61
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332721015.010164.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332721015.010164.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 72
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332721038.085454.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332721038.085454.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 65
When did you put those wheels on it? Looks great. If you do decide to sell it, let me know a price please.

Wheels and tires are about 3 weeks old, 18x9 up front and 18x10 out back. The new wheels transformed the car like I never knew possible. Stumbaugh check your pm's later I'll send you one about your question.