Lets discuss this $1300 twin turbo kit.

• Sponsors (?)

The On3 kit looks damn good. But not to strike up to much controversy but what about the BoostBrothers kit? I've been thinking about one of their kits for my 94 and they seem pretty good...even comes with the downpipe. I would most definetly get rid of the 67mm unit that comes with the kit and replace it with more of a known name unit such as Garrett. Any opinions?

I never said I was an expert, smart ass haha. All I'm saying is I've witnessed many users on this site slamming on certain parts that their friend's, brother's cousin supposedly had and broke and killed them or whatever. Yes, there have been some bad ebay kits but it's come a long way. I'm a member of turbomustangs and while you guys may make fun of this "crappy" ebay kit there are members on that site using them with mp turbos that are screamin.

Maybe discuss this kit at a level deeper than heresay?

ah, gotta love the he said/she said stuff. How may of you in this thread even have a turbo 5.0? 1?.......... 2?

yep.

I will in about a month, and I've done my research. I'll be running a pony down hotside with and MP T-70 with .68 a/r. I have the rest of the kit sitting in boxes as well. Install starts as soon as crusing weather stops.

I never said I was an expert, smart ass haha. All I'm saying is I've witnessed many users on this site slamming on certain parts that their friend's, brother's cousin supposedly had and broke and killed them or whatever. Yes, there have been some bad ebay kits but it's come a long way. I'm a member of turbomustangs and while you guys may make fun of this "crappy" ebay kit there are members on that site using them with mp turbos that are screamin.

Maybe discuss this kit at a level deeper than heresay?

I thought you said you were a member on turbomustangs there guy?

Why not to use cheap 304 stainless

on3 performance llc

There are DOZENS more.

You're really going to defend kits fabbed out of 304? It's not heresay to say there are TONS of guys who have ordered ebay 304 turbo kits and have been plagued with cracking welds/pipes and had horrible fitment issues, not to mention the turbos coming apart on them after a few thousand miles (if that). You should also remember that the majority of the guys on turbomustangs are also fabricators themselves. If their headers crack they pull them off and weld them back up. Not everyone has access to that skill set. I made a point of saying that On3 now offers their kits in mild steel and guys are having good luck with their kits nowadays. What's the heresay?

no need to get defensive, man. All I was saying was that just because it's a kit from ebay doesn't mean its bad. You're right about complaints on the ebay kits but a lot of those other threads are from years back. I have never used a kit from this company, I fabbed mine up from a box of bends. I was just hoping to see a deeper discussion than "it's ebay so it must suck".

I read some of the threads and besides the ss issue there was also problems with the mp turbos. That's not the fault of ebay companies. As with the hotside clamp, also mp issue. I have my own opinion on the stainless piping, i've read about other people using it no problem. Hell, there is always someone with issues about something in the aftermarket....

btw, good choice on the .68 hotside its fun on the street. Now that you've done the planning, get that thing boosted.

Drew

no need to get defensive, man. All I was saying was that just because it's a kit from ebay doesn't mean its bad. You're right about complaints on the ebay kits but a lot of those other threads are from years back. I have never used a kit from this company, I fabbed mine up from a box of bends. I was just hoping to see a deeper discussion than "it's ebay so it must suck".

I didn't mean to take it so personally, Drew. Sorry if I came off that way. I just hate seeing people make misinformed mistakes and waste money. I know what it's like to be a car guy with limited funds. Very few people on this site are made of money, so dropping $1300 on a potentially bogus kit would be a huge deal. This site is clearly not the ideal place for turbo information, so I just wanted to make sure I posted factual info with evidence to back it up.

I read some of the threads and besides the ss issue there was also problems with the mp turbos. That's not the fault of ebay companies. As with the hotside clamp, also mp issue. I have my own opinion on the stainless piping, i've read about other people using it no problem. Hell, there is always someone with issues about something in the aftermarket....

I'm having the same problem you mentioned. I can't get the v-band to seat on the exhaust turbine flange to clamp it down. It looks like I'll have to take a grinder to it to make it seat properly. Lame.

btw, good choice on the .68 hotside its fun on the street. Now that you've done the planning, get that thing boosted.

Drew

Thanks dude, I'm hoping the .68 will spool really quickly and make for a fun ride. I'll be starting a thread once the install starts. I'd appreciate your input in there once it's up. You seem to know your stuff. :nice:

1991notchbackLX have you seen madbeems build from years back on turbomustangs?? When everyone said the .68 was too small (it kinda is though but not thaaat bad) he was posting up vids and blowing people's minds with ridiculously fast spooling and a car that had the potential to run in the high 9's with higher boost (~15psi). People complain that the small hotside increases pre turbine backpressure to a point that's not good for the engine. You'll know what I mean about the spool time though when you get your kit running, mua ha ha. :D

The thing about the ss piping is NOT so much the grade of metal but where it came from. American 304 ss is one thing but you have these companies using chit from china that is prob equivalent to that of pot metal.

The thing about going turbo is the excessive engine bay temps aren't discussed as much as they should on those forums. Electronics get heat soaked and tend to cause the car to act funny. Keep your alt away from your turbo (relocate if necessary) AND if the heat is causing your output to be a little on the low side then buy a high output volt reg for your 3g. They bump up the output by almost .5v. I relocated my alt to the drivers side and was having probs with the exhaust frying the alt. I made a heat shield that went between the alt and piping and that right there gave me approx .3v at idle. You'll see what I mean after you get things running.....everything in your engine bay will be noticeably hotter than when you're na.

If you have any q's feel free to pm me......

Drew