Lets talk about the '07 SVT Cobra

Jpjr

Aug 5, 2004
Good discussion here:

SVT Thread

If hyperlink doesn't work:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=120916

Based upon what they are saying, I'm still happy with my '03. I can easily mod it up to 460hp without waiting. Plus I forever advocate that the current gen body style is much cooler :D

What do you guys think about the new Cobra? And is there any truth to the 'cooling issues' remark that someone made about the '03-'04 Cobra? I've seen lots of sigs here with modded '03's and have yet to read about cooling issues with the current motor.

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't heard of too many problems with the cooling. I know that these engines get super hot though. :( If you are making 450+ hp you may want to look into an aftermarker heat exchanger. Lots of guys that have done pully
swaps and port, as well as KB have upgraded to better HE. :p I think the normal bolt on's such as I have we should be ok, though I can tell the car loses a little after being driven for a while. :nonono:

Dr. Wu 2000 said:
I haven't heard of too many problems with the cooling. I know that these engines get super hot though. :( If you are making 450+ hp you may want to look into an aftermarker heat exchanger. Lots of guys that have done pully
swaps and port, as well as KB have upgraded to better HE. :p I think the normal bolt on's such as I have we should be ok, though I can tell the car loses a little after being driven for a while. :nonono:
Have you looked into the AMSoil water wetter?

cold96snake said:
Actually debating whether or not to build up my current car or to keep it stock for a better trade in for the '07. I thought there was gonna be an '06 SVT cobra?

Based on what I read, it looks like late '06 is when they will re-introduce the Cobra as an '07. (I think, I'll check again). Primary reason being the SVT team abandoned the Mustang to get the GT out the door.

As for trade-in, that's a long time to keep a stock cobra. To my knowledge all the basic mods (exhaust, cai, pullyes, tune) can be undone if that is what your worried about. As for me, I think I'll get more satisfaction out of taking down a new cobra driver that thinks he owns me. I got owned once that way by a 5.0 about 5 years ago, it was one of the more embarrasing moments of my life ;)

from the svt site:

"Believe this:
The Cobra will be back in 2006 1/2 as a 2007.
S-197 platform.
Power will be from the 5.4, 4 valve configuration,
SUPERCHARGED.
Transmission will be the T-56, with a yet to be decided
third member.
Slated production is 6000 units.

Don't ask, just believe it....

Last edited by SNKBITE on 08-25-2004 at 09:21 PM"

-This seems very probable (i.e. scaled down GT motor). It's actually good news since low production will keep the car very high priced so my '03 resale tag along!

Dr. Wu 2000 said:
That looks like some good stuff. I think I will call them and talk to them about what mixture will work best on the 03-04 cobra's. If all sounds good I may try it in both the regular cooling and the intercooling system. I think a 20 degree
drop in temp would help a lot. :p

Yeah please let us all know!!

Jpjr said:
from the svt site:

"Believe this:
The Cobra will be back in 2006 1/2 as a 2007.
S-197 platform.
Power will be from the 5.4, 4 valve configuration,
SUPERCHARGED.
Transmission will be the T-56, with a yet to be decided
third member.
Slated production is 6000 units.

Don't ask, just believe it....

Last edited by SNKBITE on 08-25-2004 at 09:21 PM"

-This seems very probable (i.e. scaled down GT motor). It's actually good news since low production will keep the car very high priced so my '03 resale tag along!

I hope this is true but I've heard more rumors that the new engine will not be blown versus a blown engine. I have even read of the 3-valve engine SC'd going into the Cobra.

If it is a four valve, 5.4 ltr then it has to be based on the Ford GT engine. Damn. I'm thinking that SVT will want to keep the Cobra faster than the L and I think it's a fact the GT engine is going in the L. So maybe it's true. The Ford GT comes with a twin screw blower so there'll be no need to swap it out for a KB. The new Ford GT engine is reported to dyno 550 rwhp while it's rated 550 at the crank. Maybe they'll detune it a little for the Cobra. The 03 Cobra really put a damper on the F-Body crowd. If the new Cobra comes out with the GT engine, even de-tuned a little, it should handle the new Z07 with a smaller pulley upgrade. It should be pretty easy to get 600 rwhp out of it. Holy crap. I remember spending tons to get 300 rwhp out of my 01 Cobra. I think it's going to be a good time to be a Ford fan.

I tend to disagree, I think the cobra will still get the 4.6 dohc motor. Back in 99 and 01 the Lightning was faster than the cobra, not saying it will be again. They are not going to take their 150k super car motor and stick it in a mustang no matter how detuned. The Lightning will probably get a built 3v motor based on the production 5.4 in the F series trucks. I think the biggest change will be to a screw type supercharger instead of the crappy eaton style. From that they will get more boost and more hp. Just my thoughts though.

Anyone else think they're gunna kill the 4v heads? I mean really? Ford Australia is involved in a HP war with Holden (the local GM wing, builder of the Ponticrap GTO), and the hottd up Falcon sedans with the 32valve 5.4 in it, in 260 and 290kw form is selling like hotcakes... I somehow think that the '07 Cobra and the '06 Falcon GT-HO (care of FPV, Oz's answer to SVT), along with the '06 lightning, will all have the 32valve 5.4 with a blower, just like the GT.... and they'll be fast, in varying degrees.... the L weighs 2.2tonne, the Falcon GTs weigh 1.7-1.8 tonne and the cobras about 1.6tonne... the GT weighs 1.4?
I suspect the GT will run more boost than any of the SVT/FPV cars, and will hence have the HP margin from factory....

Ben
(Only here cos I've got a SVT blower I'm putting on a 302 Cleveland... Australians do stuff differently... lol)

As far as I know they are going to put a 4v 5.4 engine in the next L. They had the concept L at a car show a few months ago. I'm not sure if it had a roots or a twin screw blower.

I have a Mustang magazine that covered SVT history. I think it was Mustang Monthly. I'm too lazy to dig it out. The writer asked Coletti about the rumors of the GT engine being used in other vehicles. Coletti says, "you don't think we'd build an engine like that to be used in a single vehicle". It may go in the L and not the Cobra. There had to be a significant cost to make molds for heads, intakes and blocks. I would think they would have to make and sell a lot more of the engine to justify the cost. They have already said Ford isn't making much on each copy of the GT they sell. I hope they put it in the Cobra just to keep the GM boys whining. It would easily best the next generation Z vette predicted to be 500 hp with minor mods. It would also put the Cobra ahead of the LS2 vette and that is something that appeals to me more than anything. It makes people driving vettes paranoid as hell.

Pumped03Snake said:
As far as I know they are going to put a 4v 5.4 engine in the next L. They had the concept L at a car show a few months ago. I'm not sure if it had a roots or a twin screw blower.

I have a Mustang magazine that covered SVT history. I think it was Mustang Monthly. I'm too lazy to dig it out. The writer asked Coletti about the rumors of the GT engine being used in other vehicles. Coletti says, "you don't think we'd build an engine like that to be used in a single vehicle". It may go in the L and not the Cobra. There had to be a significant cost to make molds for heads, intakes and blocks. I would think they would have to make and sell a lot more of the engine to justify the cost. They have already said Ford isn't making much on each copy of the GT they sell. I hope they put it in the Cobra just to keep the GM boys whining. It would easily best the next generation Z vette predicted to be 500 hp with minor mods. It would also put the Cobra ahead of the LS2 vette and that is something that appeals to me more than anything. It makes people driving vettes paranoid as hell.

-There is a small percentage of us that mod out mustangs and catch stock vette guys with their pants down.. but for the vast majority of wealthy people that buy these cars, they aren't mechanics. If they wanted to mod their car they would just buy a faster more expensive one. My point is that people like my dad (z owner) and others have no respect for the Cobra and don't fear them at all on the road. Part of me wishes Ford would go the pushrod route just so they could start putting out some cars in a cost effective way that compete stock.

Bottom line the Vette is a more expensive car, so its understandably faster. But there are people that are willing to pay 55k for a stang that will smoke a Vette! People love the looks of a mustang that's why they put the camaro to sleep even though they were slower. Ford has already invested enough R&D into the Cobra R motor.. why not just mass produce with forged internals and a blower?!?! :nice: