Long Tube Headers and Emissions

stangdude2000

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2001
Northern VA
What is the deal with long tube headers and passing emissions? I'm contemplating doing headers and a crossover, but I have to stay emissions legal. On SLP's site, they specifically say not 50-state emissions legal, but I don't see that on al pages for other companies' LT's. Bassani is one example. I know I do need to get a X- or H-pipe that is made for the headers. I have read that as long as you keep your cats, you'll stay emissions legal, but I don't know if I should believe this. Any input?

I'd like to go the LT route, although I'll just suck it up and do shorties if it is my only option to stay emissions legal. Just so the thread doesn't devolve into this, I realize shorties don't give much as far as peak power, but they DO give good mid-range gains, so I'm willing to sacrifice.

• Sponsors (?)

They are not legal under any circumstances on a daily driven car. You may pass emissions with them(though not emissions legal) with a certain exhaust setup, even with cats you will flunk the visual inspection. You will usually see *for off-road use only. Not legal for use on emission controlled vehicles. one virtually every website on their LT's. There are no carb #'s either for the LT's. Best bet, if you want headers bad and don't want to get fined, go with the shorties.

Strange, any idea why they wouldn't be allowed even w/ cats if you can pass emissions? I don't understand the reasoning behind these laws. If it passes emissions, why does it matter as long as its not a safety hazard???

Looks like I'll be going with the shorties after all. :nonono:

Strange, any idea why they wouldn't be allowed even w/ cats if you can pass emissions? I don't understand the reasoning behind these laws. If it passes emissions, why does it matter as long as its not a safety hazard???

Looks like I'll be going with the shorties after all. :nonono:

The headers must have a CARB # to be considered emissions legal and there are no long tubes that I know of that have that. The LT headers may pass emissions, but will fail the visual inspection. You can install them on a non pollution-controlled vehicle but they are absolutely not legal on ours:(

Unless you know someone who will make them pass for you, then you would be okay.