Lost my Best Friend Yesterday

onebad95

Sherriff of Bling King County
To say yesterday was the worst day of my life is an understatement. My beloved friend, and companion Drago had to be put down. He was 11 years old and the arthritus made his last month miserable as well as ours. I never thought I would get this attached to a dog, but I was mistaken. I can still remember when my wife and I went to see him for the first time. I didn't want a dog, but she told me don't worry we're just going to look at them. Well she picked him up and he licked her from chin to forehead and that was it. Looking back that is one of the happiest days of my life. I sit here feeling lonely and remourse, but I still remember all the good times I had with our boy. For those of you that have met him, I'm sure you will agreee he was one of the nicest Rotti's you have ever met. I know he's happy now as he will be in no more pain and in my mind he will run a young dog once again.

Attachments

• drago deck.JPG
    drago deck.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Sponsors (?)

we had a cocker spaniel for 14 years. pretty much all of my childhood we had him. slept with me every night. i was messed up for months over losing him. he had kidney failure and the last month was absolute hell. it is just really different to not have a dog in the house anymore so we bought two cocker puppies. as much as i love these guys i still wish i had my Bo.

sorry to hear about him passing away. But like you said, you have to remember the good times and it will cheer you up.

Sorry for your loss. I have a 10 year old German Shepherd who is truly a best friend. She suffers from hip dysplasia and has had TPLO knee surgery.

She really is starting to have a tough time going up and down the steps in the house. Her poor little legs crack when ever she gets up. I am dreading the day that I will have to say good bye.

Just think though, nobody could have given that pup of yours a better life and home!

Just think though, nobody could have given that pup of yours a better life and home!

Knowing Charlie as well as I do I can completely agree with that statement.

Again Charlie, I'm sorry to hear about Drago. You know I was apprehensive when I came to visit you as Rotti's and I have never gotten along. There was always a mutual dislike on both our parts. It was a pleasant surprise when I met Drago and saw how loving and friendly he was, it really made the trip up there all the better. I'm glad I had got to know him. I'll miss his powerful bark coming from the background of the phone.

You and Monica hang in there, I know how attached you were to him. Find peace in knowing that he is no longer in pain.

That really stinks. i know what you're feeling. My parents just put our dog down just before Christmas after having her for 12 years. I just got a tattoo on my back shoulder for her, a portrait of her face and paw.

Sorry man, I have been through that as well. You never think of replacing him, but you might be surprised how the love from a new puppy can help ease the pain. Its not the same, but a good feeling again none the less.

Sorry to hear about your loss dude. The picture looks like he was a big rot, my last rot wondered up with nearly every bone in his body showing. He had been thrown off a truck by some people who couldn't care for him. I kept him at my parents and fed him and he got huge. I never got along with rotti's but I took a liking to the one that wondered up in our yard that day. After keeping him for a year we ended up giving him to a family we knew that owned a farm with enough land for him to roam and play. We had a house in town with a small yard so I felt it would be better for him to have a bigger place to live. The family that we gave him to took great care of him and he watched over their kids. He actually died because he ran into the road to get the kids ball they were laying with and he got him by a truck. Sad times I wished I had never gave him up.

Anyway sorry for th ramble. My condolences with you and your family.

Very sorry for your loss man. :( I believe you will see him again someday tho.

Now I am not trying to be smart but maybe you will crack a small smile at this one:

"Well she picked him up and he licked her from chin to forehead and that was it. "

As desperate as some of these Stangers around here really are, you have to wonder if they end up trying this on ladies night...

..well.. I tried.

Hang in there man.

I know your pain. I put down Maddie last May. She was 8 years onld and her hips gave out. One day she could no longer get up on her own so it was the best thing for me to do. Now almost a year later I still find myself looking for my "Beast" and getting teary eyed when she is not there. Christmas was a very tough timr for me... And we did get a new puppy almost immediately (it was planned for months though)... Due to the timing I have not really bonded with the new puppy and I am just beginning to look for a new dog for me now. Take your time and your heart will tell you what is best to do when. Until then stay strong and never forget. While it does get easier it never goes away. A true friend is like that.

I love you Maddie...

Sorry for the loss.

I had to put down my Golden Retriever a few years ago. We had him over 15 years. He came from the pound and the day we adopted him was also his last day, because he was going to be euthenized the following day. Needless to say, he lived a good long life.

My wife and I have two dogs now and they're both about 12 years old, so hopefully we can get a few more years with them.

It's never easy, but you did the right thing for your friend.

I have a 13 y/o Choc lab that is in the early stages of kidney failure, at first i thought she just had the flew(puking, wont eat) or got into somethin that made her sick, well it turns out her kidneys are starting to fail, the vet says she can get them working again, but this last week has been hell for me. I keep thinking this is it, and im going to have to put her down, its going to be a tough loss, ive had Molly my whole child hood