Mach 1 Whipple Swap

This was just the high level post about it.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/786271-mach-1-eaton-swap.html

I have more detail on my site. Keep in mind it's for 4v's. I think there was suppose to be a company out there making a lower intake to use the eaton on a 2v.

Bill

:nice: Thanks.

Yea, but my granddad just bought an 04 Screaming Yellow Mach 1. :banana: He was asking about what all could be done to them, and I was just doing some research.

And yea, Tork Tech makes the 2v adapter. I'd LOVE to do that to my car. 3000 +/- for a PD blower. And I'd be the first one that I know of to use the Tork Tech kit on an NPI. Maybe one day...

-Will

• Sponsors (?)

:nice: Thanks.

Yea, but my granddad just bought an 04 Screaming Yellow Mach 1. :banana: He was asking about what all could be done to them, and I was just doing some research.

And yea, Tork Tech makes the 2v adapter. I'd LOVE to do that to my car. 3000 +/- for a PD blower. And I'd be the first one that I know of to use the Tork Tech kit on an NPI. Maybe one day...

-Will

It's a pretty involved job doing the eaton swap. The hardest part is tracking down all the parts.

Bill

No pics but I got the driver side headers, back of the engine finished up and installed the Mcleod twin disk set up. I've run into a coupe of road blocks that have to wait till Monday before I can get the parts. I should have the transmission, accessories and whipple on the car by next weekend.

Bill

I would have loved to have gone with that clutch. I just replaced mine 3 days ago with a spec 3, and I hate it.

Bill, I can't wait to see how your car runs. Will you be running in NMRA or any FFW events, or are you just building it for fun?

Mark

I would have loved to have gone with that clutch. I just replaced mine 3 days ago with a spec 3, and I hate it.

Bill, I can't wait to see how your car runs. Will you be running in NMRA or any FFW events, or are you just building it for fun?

Mark

I didn't care for the spec 3 back when I had my 2v so I can't blame you there.

I may run True Street in Bradenton (NMRA, FFW is out of business) but otherwise no. This is just for an all around car for fun. It won't be a dyno queen though I fully plan on getting it into the 9's one way or another but at the end of the day I'll be driving it on 18's and enjoying the car on the street.

Bill

Looking good Bill. You going to tune it on E85?

I just helped a friend swap over to E85 on his stock 04 Cobra with a Whipple 2.3 with a 2.75 upper and stock lower and it made 719/668 STD, 705/655 SAE. Stock motor, stock exhaust manifolds, stock MAF w/ MAFIa, Stock Intake Tube w/ 10" S&B Filter.

Haven't dyno'd my car yet on the Corn because of the clutch but should be close to 700 now w/ 20 psi on my 2.3.

Cracking 600 should be a piece of cake with the 3.4. :nice:

Blower temporarily mocked up.

whipplemock.jpg

Still going to be able to keep the shaker up there with a whipple under it?

Right now it's looking at the very least I'll have to attach the shaker to the hood because there are no good mounting points on the whipple itself like the Eaton had. My big problem is the pulley. I need at least 1/2" above the pulley and a good 1.5" side to side so it doesn't hit the hood under load. I won't know till the hood is back on.

If it doesn't fit then I'm going to look at a couple of options. Have the cowl portion of the hood raised enough to clear it or if it's really close to the opening then maybe open it a little and trim the shaker back. Last option is a new hood but I really do not want to change hoods. The shaker hood makes the Mach 1 and losing it (to me at least) makes it just every other Mustang out there.

Thanks for the info. You kinda went the complete opposite directions with you two builds. You went from have a sub 300 hp NA 2v to a blown 4v trying for 600+hp. Whats next?

Different priorities. When I bought my 2000 I was on a budget and having a fast NA GT was pretty rare, cheap and it worked well for racing NMRA and FFW events. I drove it daily but I also lost some streetability with it. The local street scene was completely dead also (hang outs, car cruises, etc...).

The Mach 1 on the other hand has been pushed, everyone knows what they run in NA form and I can't afford (financially and time wise) to race an event series so no real racing other than local stuff. So no reason to gut and ruin a car like this. It's much easier to build it for big power and keep most of the refinements and just enjoy it. Plus the local scene is revived a bit so there are some local hang outs to show off the car and BS.

Bill

The blower is now bolted up, wiring is mostly done, front accessories back on, intercooler reservoir is mounted. Although it doesn't look like I made much progress I actually got a bunch of things worked out. Back in April I had a wiring problem and fired the fusible link and ended up doing my own fix and down the road it kept on popping alt. fuses. I got a junkyard replacement harness for that alternator and while I was swapping the connector over I found the problem. One of the smaller alt wires melted and wire was exposed and it rubbed the frame enough to pop that fuse. I also resolved a problem with a power steering line from back when I did the swap. My original fix didn't work but now it's good to go.

I had to make some changes to the fuel lines and ordered two more fittings so once they come in I can wrap up the rest of the engine stuff. This is how it sits now.

whippleon.jpg

I'm expecting to have everything done this coming weekend so I can get the front end aligned next week.

Bill

Getting down to the last little bit.

Intake finished up.

closerd.jpg

Hood clearance.

1000949.jpg

1000950h.jpg

Front suspension.

1000952d.jpg

Waiting on a conversion U-joint for the driveshaft and sent out two more parts to powder coat. Should have it all by Thursday so I can wrap it up. Hope to fire it up and let it idle for a bit on Thursday, if not it will be Saturday. Then I'm an alignment away from being able to drive it and can do the last cosmetic things afterwards (shaker).