Mach 460 and alternator noise

Discussion in 'Mustang Sound & Shine All' started by Chronos[AsG], Dec 21, 2003.

1. Chronos[AsG]

Chronos[AsG] Member

Hi. I have a 1994 Mustang GT. It came with the Mach 460 stereo system. I have replaced the head unit and used wiring harnesses provided by Crutchfield to wire in the power and amplifier connections. Every once in a while I will get what seems to be alternator noise in the system. I know its not the new head unit as it used to do this with the old factory head unit, which I had to replace because the volume buttons stopped working. It does not hum all the time. Sometimes it will not hum at all, most times it will start as I am driving. I have noticed that alot of times it will start humming when I am on the brake, either stopped or coming to a stop. Turning the radio on and off usually corrects the problem, at least temporarily. Also I'm not sure whether car temperature plays a role. I know it will hum when the car is warm, not sure if it would happen when the car has just been started. I have checked the connectors and they seem to be ok. I've tried checking the grounds but the only ones I could find were the two near the battery and one on the other side of the front engine bay. I know there is one near the inside instrument panel fuse box but I haven't been able to locate it yet, so I dont know if thats my problem. If anybody knows anything that would help, or a way to correct it please let me know. If you have questions or need more info let me know and I'll reply as soon as possible. Thanks!

Justin

2. COramprat

COramprat Drone Driver
    Mod Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Try grounding the head unit black wire to something metal in the dash. It could be your ground to the battery thru the harness is causing the problem. If the unit has a place to attach another ground use it and have double the protection.
    Also check the FAQ at the top of this forum....some good suggestions there too.