mach 460 help

ponycrazy02

May 17, 2009
Goshen, NY
hey guys im new here and i had a question about the mach 460.

i was wondering if i can hook up 2 more amps to my existing mach 460 from another 460? how would i go about doing this...im also planning to replace the factory speakers and and add a sub to it...please help...thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Let me begin by saying that I'm no expert in this area of expertise. But I do have a setup in my car that may help you.

I have two twelve inch sub woofers in the trunk of my car, pushing somewhere in the 800 watt range, along with the stock Mach 460 system. Sounds great, and I love it. I also bought a new radio when I got the subs. The radio I got has two RCA cable ports on the back, one for a sub-woofer, one for an amp. I just bought the adapter for the stock speaker harness to plug into the new radio and plugged that right back into the new radio just like it was; and plugged in my new amp/subs into the amp port on the back. Works like a charm.

If you are not getting a new radio, I honestly don't know enough to really help you. If you are, I might would recommend getting one of these radio's with the amp-out ports already built in.

As far as having two amps, I'm not sure on what kind of amp's you are getting, but the new one I put in my car has an amp-out port just like my radio does, so you could essentially just go radio to amp1, then amp1 to amp2, but only if your amp has these ports.

As far as replacing the speakers, should be as easy as taking the old ones out and putting new ones in, as well as reconnecting the wires.

-Will

I honestly don't know because I've never seen my Mach 460 amps.

But logic tells me that you could, somehow. As far as the audio goes, I guess you might could split the audio going into the stock amp into the new one as well. I've never done this, so I don't know how that would affect quality. And you could probably do the same thing with the power, just split it to the new amp. But like I said, I've never done it like this before and I honestly can't say for sure.

-Will

I see no benefit to hooking up more factory amps to your stereo. I imagine you will burn them both up it you tried. At the least you will fry your speakers b/c they work on ohm ratings and you would basically be changing the factory parameters. If you want more, then you need to pull all the factory stuff (it works off an odd ball 3 ohm rating insteak of aftermarket 2 or 4). That being said, you can just use a line level input (speaker) to an aftermarket amp to push a set of subs. The factory speakers can barely handle the factory amps as they are now. Even if there is a way to make 2 more amps work, you'll just blow things up.

Another thing to remember is that you have 3 sets of amps. 1 up front the runs ALL the highs in ALL the speakers, and 2 in the back, for mids and lows..... You'd have way more time and effort in this than just steping up and doing it right with aftermarket componets.

Long post short, if you can get it to work, it will sound like chit.

I agree, even getting those amps for free, the way they are wired and how they supply power, chaining them will probably only result in blown speakers, or over driven speakers. Either way, will sound terrible.

Be much better off just running all new equipment if you get a new head unit. Completely worth the time/energy.

Not sure how it would be done with adding 2 extra factory amps. However, I have added an aftermarket amp and subs to mine with minimal mods to the 460 system. Everything is still factory, both amps and all speakers are still functioning (in addition to the aftermarket subs and amp). Did this add-on 5 yrs ago.

This was done by splicing into the 460 data harness in the back and no line leveler. All I had to run from the front end was to run a power line for the amp and a remote turn on.

Link to pics and info

Yea, I'd tend to agree with Hobbes and Squeak. Although I will say that the few hundred dollars I spent on simply a new head unit and a pair of subs was well worth it. Stock Mach 460 + Sony head unit + 800 watt amp + 2 12's = win; at least for me anyway. Certainly not a super top-notch system or anything, but it sounds pretty dang good, and I get lots of compliments from people that ride with me. But in the end, its all up to you.

-Will

yeah i think i just might get two subs and an amp. could use mach 460 amps to power the subs or no?

Please do not use your factory amps to power aftermarket subs. The Ohm ratings are not the same and you will quite possibly damage the subs. All I basically did was tap into the factory rear signal wires (before they get to the factory amps) to be able to get that signal to the aftermarket amp.

The mach 460 is a 3ohm rating. Aftermarket stuff is based upon a 1/2/4/8 system. Basically the mach stuff is very odd ball and requires special speakers to run properly.

Line level inputs with all the factory stuff will work quite well to add more bass. Now it won't be a competition system but will sound much better.

On a side note, has anyone beside me noticed the 96-98 mach stuff sounds SO much better than the newer mach (not counting the 1000). My 04 was just blah, but my 98 now has a TON better bass response and overall range.