Manual or Automatic?

b52yellow said:
Yep, It`s more like 99%Stick w/1%Auto......might see a couple of Cars w/Automatic trans. and that`s probably some American Ppl who never learned how to drive a Stick :) ...sorry fellas but "LAZY" iz our Middle name

Seriously though, why is that?!! Is it like a gas mileage thing? I can't imagine an automatic being any less beneficial in Europe than it is here.

I'm the only one in my family that knows how to drive a manual. It's because I show more interest in cars than my parents or sister, so I went out of my way to learn. It's not that they're lazy, so they drive autos. But if the people who taught them how to drive didn't have stick shift cars, how are they supposed to learn?:shrug:

I know that's the biggest handicap about learning, is you have to know someone how has a manual and is willing to let you thrash their clutch a little. Luckily I have cool friends.

• Sponsors (?)

i prefer stick over auto just for the fun factor, i have an auto in my gt and a 5sp in the lx. i drive the lx in heavy down town traffic and i dont mind at all, once you get used to it its second nature.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Seriously though, why is that?!! Is it like a gas mileage thing? I can't imagine an automatic being any less beneficial in Europe than it is here.

I'm the only one in my family that knows how to drive a manual. It's because I show more interest in cars than my parents or sister, so I went out of my way to learn. It's not that they're lazy, so they drive autos. But if the people who taught them how to drive didn't have stick shift cars, how are they supposed to learn?:shrug:

I know that's the biggest handicap about learning, is you have to know someone how has a manual and is willing to let you thrash their clutch a little. Luckily I have cool friends.[/QUOTE]

I think it might be a Gas mileage thing in the poorly developed countries who can barely afford to pay for GAS and the Used Cars from the EUROPEAN Rich countries often end up SOLD to the poor Countries as Used kinda like recycling works here in the USA:)(HAVING A CAR IS LUXURY TO THEM-and here it`s a NECEsITY)+Sticks get more power and better Control overall......and the whole system is different: Try to get a DL in one of the Balkan Countries for Example-First you are obligated to Take Classes w/an Instructor, U gotta pass a FIRST AID Test , then you gotta provide proof from a Doctor that you are healthy enough to operate a vehicle,Eye exam,"The booklet" or should we say the "NOVEL" is so many pages you`d study it for months, pass a Written Test-which is devided into several TESTS `cause it`s ENORMOUS ,then wait to get schedueled for the Driving Test w/at least 2 Commision crew and they follow every little thing you do.....it`s a whole different story It`s like getting a PILOT`s Licence .....which could take months by the time you ACTUALLY get your licence...........+ you can`t get any of that done untill your 18th B-day(LEGAL AGE), so yes That training does pay Off later after you get your Licence......but Getting it is the Tough part.(TOTTALY OUT OF TOPIC-SORRY)

[quote='66 coupe]Seriously though, why is that?!! Is it like a gas mileage thing? I can't imagine an automatic being any less beneficial in Europe than it is here.

I know that's the biggest handicap about learning, is you have to know someone how has a manual and is willing to let you thrash their clutch a little. Luckily I have cool friends.[/quote]

I think because it's probably cheaper than getting a car with auto, and everyone learns stick, so why should they get an auto?

Depends on what you got, and what you want. My Cobra obviously was a manual, but my daily driven V6 is an auto. A stick is more fun to drive, but the auto is nice to have in traffic for getting to/from work. My next Mustang will be a stick.