Manual steering vs Power steering

mustang20010

Nov 2, 2003
My 94's steering is getting loose, and I'm faced with the decision to either fix it like it is, or go to a manual rack. Right now the car is primarily an occasional street car (not my daily driver) that I plan on road racing next summer. My first thought is that with manual steering, road racing would suck because it would be so hard to steer - but then again, it's easier to steer at speed than it is going slow, also while I'm not into NASCAR at all I sure think they have manual steering.... Power steering is great, but you don't get the same road feel you would with manual. Plus the added weight, not to mention the fact that I've always thought the p/s pulley on our cars is THE UGLIEST PULLEY EVER!!!

Anyway, I just took out my airbags and I'm about to order a new Momo suede steering wheel from Maximum Motorsports. I notice it's 13.8" while the stock wheel is 15", so that will make it a little harder to steer too.

Just wondering if any of you guys have put manual racks in your SN95s. I know they're great for drag racing cause you don't really have to worry about steering, but for road racing I've seen both. Not sure which direction I want to go. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I was moving mikes car at the car show one day and I must say manual steering sucks! It's a lot harder than I thought it'd be, but I was only going a few MPH at the most. Road racing might be a little different, but I think you'd still want to go with PS for that instead. Get going and shut your car off and turn the wheel to get an idea of what manual steering will be like.

Well i wouldnt say its nearly that bad, but it is harder to turn the wheel then with power steering.
Its nothing like when the motor dies, and you lose power steering.

You feel more in tune with the road, the steering is more predictable, and precise, but on the same note, it is more difficult to turn the wheel. The only time you really notice it being a problem, if you want to look at it that way, would be making 3 point turns, such as zach did when i let him move the car. Other then that its not so bad.

BTW, wana buy my flaming river rack?

When I was 17 I had a 66 chevy Imp. it had no PS. and that boat was not that hard to steer, once the car starts moving its not that hard. Now fast u-turns were another story.........

It seems that at a cert. mph the steering wakes up and becomes easy.

Hell i would keep the power steering from the way it looks you have plenty of power and are trying to squeeze for hp. Keep in mind that a manual rack from flaming river or whoever is around $400. Doesnt look like money is much of a deal either though for ya.

Id say keep the PS. My dads 63 vette doesn't has PS and its a boat to drive. The one time I took that car sideways I learned quick why old cars have big steering wheels. I dont thing you wanna be doing the same thing on a road course with a smaller steering wheel.

thanks guys. I guess I'm thinking I will stick with the power steering. It just seems like the goods outweigh the bads. I would like the steering to be a little tighter and get more road feel, but going to a smaller steering wheel will probably make it feel a little better. I wish it felt like my Focus though. Honestly the steering on that thing is great, course a big part of that is the fact that it's front wheel drive.

Yeah the more I think about it I think it would be tough with manual steering. As far as road racing, what if the rear end broke loose and you had to countersteer? That would be MUCH easier with p/s. Thanks for the input everyone.

mustang20010 said:
thanks guys. I guess I'm thinking I will stick with the power steering. It just seems like the goods outweigh the bads. I would like the steering to be a little tighter and get more road feel, but going to a smaller steering wheel will probably make it feel a little better. I wish it felt like my Focus though. Honestly the steering on that thing is great, course a big part of that is the fact that it's front wheel drive.

Yeah the more I think about it I think it would be tough with manual steering. As far as road racing, what if the rear end broke loose and you had to countersteer? That would be MUCH easier with p/s. Thanks for the input everyone.

Im going to dig this thread up only because i did a search and im in the market for tighter steering as well. I found this:http://www.flamingriver.com/index.c...ategory_id=64/home_id=63/mode=prod/prd223.htm

what would be the consensus on this rack? would it be worth it to get a tighter feel without going manual-- woudl it make a big difference? Id love the steering feel of my bmw but that wont happen.