manual Tranny / clutch question

guruinblue05

Aug 30, 2006
Austin, Texas
Hey y'all,

this may be a stupid question, but this is my first mustang and I haven't driven a stick for a long time. I have an 05 v6, manual tranny, This car has 9K on it. I just bought it used. I have been experimenting with clutch release points and which gear at what speed gives best acceleeration etc....

Well ..I think my clutch may be slipping and want some feedback.

When I am in say 3rd or 4th gear, but at a speed that is too slow to really punch it for that gear, Kind of like at the bottom end of speed for whatever gear you are in. But if I do throttle it, instead of the engine bogging down(which is what i'm used to seeing) the tach whips up a couple thousand. Its like the engine is overtaking the clutch plate, instead of the engine bogging down.
Now. i know you're supposed to get rpms up to hammer it, and its not real good for the motor to do that, but... its just one of things I noticed when messing around.. and i want to be sure that I don't have a clutch that needs to be replaced.

i have not yet tried lighting them up from a dead stop to see how it reacts.

Also where in the clutch travel should the clutch begin to engage when letting it out. Mine engages in the upper 1/4 of travel. Is that too far or good??

Any comments/ feed back.. help would be appreciated.?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)