Modified TKO 500 (MMR PT750) installed. First impressions

RacEoHolic330

I like to dress like a pretty girl
15 Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Allentown, PA
Well after a lot of work I finally got the chance to take my car for a ride with the new transmission setup. I purchased a modified TKO 500 from Modular Mustang Racing. All I can say is that I'm very impressed. Put about 20 miles on it today and I swear it shifts smoother than my stock T-5 did. The shifter is kinda notchy when it comes to finding first gear, but its not bad.

One of the biggest complaints that I've heard from TKO 500 and 600 users is a vibration at 70 mph in 5th gear. I took the car up to 90 on the highway and I didn't get a single damn vibration. The shifter vibrates a little bit in 5th on the highway, but so did my T-5, so that's normal to me. I was soooooo relieved that I didn't get the vibration curse.

Another interesting thing about the trans is that it is dead SILENT. I can't hear a whine, whistle, or hum coming from the trans at all. I love it. My T-5 sounded like a dying walrus in every gear.

I can't say anything for high rpm shifting yet. I'm not taking the car over 3k until I have 1000 miles on it. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this transmission.

Here's the setup:

MMR PT 750
Spec Stage 3 clutch/pressure plate (26 spline)
Spec billet steel flywheel
Lakewood bellhousing (PITA to install, don't buy one)
Extended clutch fork
New pilot bearing and TOB
31 spline yoke
Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster
Stock clutch cable
3 quarts of syncromesh fluid
FMS aluminum driveshaft
3.55 rear gears

Oh and btw, the fluid fill hole on the trans is on the PASSENGER side, NOT the driver's. I learned that one the hard way, as some of you may know. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

good to hear that the trans is working smooth for you. I bet that you were pretty tempted to mash it and take it up 6500 than shift it ;)

what are the ratings of the MMR 500 tremec?