More than just a subwoofer for Mach460

SrK

Nov 25, 2002
San Jose
Hi all,

I had a stereo system with 2 amps and an aftermarket HU but the whole system got stolen except for the components in front door and the rear Infinity speakers.

Now what I want to do is....

Using the stock stereo I want to run a 4 channel amp.
Use 2 channels briged for a sub woofer
Use the other 2 channels for the front components
And run stock speakers at the back.

I know how to tap into the data cable to put a subwoofer (from mustangworld artical) but that is only 2 channels were can I tap into for the other 2 channels.

I don't think I want to split the LOC. Or should I ??

Thanks for the help.

Serkan

• Sponsors (?)

One more question. Since I have my RCA's from the stolen system already in the car. Can I put the LOC right after the stock headunit on the speaker data cables and use the RCA's back to the amp???

Thanks

I'm sorry... had the same thing happen to me... brought back memories.

First thing, a stock hu will produce noise... and a lot of it. Noise filters may correct this (~$15 X 2)... but off the stock hu you would tap in to each of the four speaker wires and run line output converters (~$30-35 a piece X 2) to your RCAs and then RCAs to your amp(s) and then you know the rest.......

All in all you'll be spending about the same amount as it would cost to get a new aftermarket hu...... your choice.

EDIT: oops... a little tired made me start thinking of 4s... lots of em... sorry... real number is only 2.

I'd go with the aftermarket HU also. You'll need at least 2 LOC's, running, like Krusher said, about 30 bucks a piece. One for the fronts and one for the back. You could do it if you're looking for a stock look, but you'll get better sound going aftermarket.

Thanks Krusher, Although it is not the most money efficient way I guess I will just go with this. Because once these f***rs break in to the car they end up making alot of damage to it.
I just want to have a stock looking stereo and sleep better.

And for the price, maybe I can cut some corners by not having filters for the sub channels since there will be a cross over on the amp set for lower freq. (low pass)I don;t think it will be able to introduce noise to the subs.

BTW I thought one LOC gives 2 channels. Am I wrong???

Thanks alot

You're right about the LOC's, you connect the front L and R to one LOC and the rears to the other. You can get splitters for the RCA's, the only problem is that you lose fading. If you don't mind having the sub playing all the time, you can do it all with 1 LOC.

BTW another question I have is....

for the sake of being completely invisible. Can I place the amp under the passenger seat and place the subwoofer in its own box in the place of the sparetire and still keep have the floor cover in the trunk.
Do you think that cover will cause too much vibration sounds?

I guess you can tell I am completely paranoid about this theft thing. I didn't even see my car for the last 3 weeks (still at the shop for body damage due to broken door locks) because of holidays and my cousins 01 mustang was stolen (from next to my car) the same night they got my stereo.

yes you can (sub in the spare tire)... I've seen many people do this... don't know what year your stang is but I have the amps mounted to the rear seats for now... and the subs in the trunk... the only thing you see when I've got my car locked up is a blank face plate from an Alpine unit...

Also depending on how big your amp is you can place it under the passenger seat... but take into account any water that might get there (i.e. shoes dripping when it's raining....) it's not such a good idea to place an amp there. They make Amp Housings that cover your amp completely... Sound Domain Amp Racks

The top 6 would be a good option since, if done correctly, will hide your amps from the naked eye of a f**king theif.

Above post was wrong as you can see by the edit... you only need 2 LOCs for your four speakers and a 4 channel amp... or 2 LOCs with one supplying your fronts/rears and the other supplying subs.

Also... I tried the whole factory HU thing... and I just couldn't get rid of the noise and it bothered me sooooo much that I just said screw it and I put back my aftermarket.... keep in mind that the factory hu does NOT have a remote turn on lead (unless the 460 was built differently?) which means that you'll have to tap in off an ignition powered wire and have the amps on whenever the car is on... or put a constant powered line with a switch... it'll get on your nerves sooner or later. IMO.

Alright I think I will go with an aftermarket unit again. I already have an old cd player so I will just put that in for a while and this gets stolen again I will put everything stock.
I would still prefer 6cd changer stock system to this head unit but I don't want to deal with whining noise and all that.

Thanks for all the replies.

serkan