Mustang 45th Anniversary setup day

78CobraII

Jul 31, 1998
Birmingham, AL
A few pics from setup day. Ford (and MCA and our local club Magic City Mustangs) are really doing this right.

Sorry for the crappy quality...new software and I am not getting along.

First...a look at the facility.

Second...the control building.

Attachments

• IMG_8732-sm.jpg
    IMG_8732-sm.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8750-sm.jpg
    IMG_8750-sm.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Sponsors (?)

Ahhh...its finally over...

Its been an exhausting week, but for a Mustang fan, a wonderful one.

Our local club, Magic City Mustangs, setup and ran registration and parking...which for a show with 2000 cars were huge jobs. Club members started initial setup on Monday, and worked every day until the opening on Friday...and then through the weekend. I had a little shorter week, starting on Wednesday and working through the weekend. After setup, we had lots of help from other MCA club members from around the country. Luckily, the Barber Motorsport folks handled security and we had lots of help from Jefferson Co. Sheriffs Dept. also.

The last race was done by 2PM Sunday, then we started taking down the banners and parking markers. We were all finally off of Barber's property by 4PM. Luckily, the bad weather predicted for the last 2 days held off till after closing.

I think that that during my 5 days setting up or working the show I saw every type of Mustang ever made by Ford (and parked most of them). And I saw a lot that Ford didn't make, at least in their current form! I'm still trying to track down info on the electric powered '67 or '68 convertible I saw humming around the vendor area. And the '73 coupe with Lambo doors was a bit of a surprise.

Unfortunately, there were only about 6 Mustang II's in the show. I saw a KC, 3 CBII's, and the Western Ghia. I didn't have mine there either, so I can't say much, but it would have been nice to have had a dozen or more. I'll just have to get moving so I can have 2 cars at the 50th!

Yeah, what was the deal with the lack of Mustang II's? I saw 2 King Cobras, 3 Cobra II's and the Western Mustang and that was it. Didn't see a lot of 79-82 Mustangs either, I guess they're getting harder to find.

I seen 1 KC, 1 hatchback, 1 CB II and that was it. The KC was immaculate but the others had the usual problems (cracked bumpers, etc). It was rather disappointing but I guess I can't be too demanding since my car wasn't out there. I think I walked over the entire field on Saturday... where did u guys see three CB IIs?

d

Thursday and Friday we had a brown KC come in (Ed Gribble's?), plus the Western Ghia, a blue/white stripe CBII (came in with the Pony Tour group), plus a white/red stripe '78 CBII.

It was maybe Saturday that I saw the black KC and the 3rd CBII come in, but I never saw where they parked.

The blue/white stripe CBII was parked in the Fun Zone lot near the entrance, the first 3 were in the paddock lots.

I never saw the hatchback. Where was it parked?

The Northeast/Mid West has a nice group of II's that show together (Carlisle, etc.), and so does the Northwest. I think it would be great to have a strong Southeast group also.

I would imagine that the MCA 35th and Mustang 50th Anniversaries will be in either Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville. We've got till 2011 for the MCA and till 2014 for the Mustang anniversaries. Think we can get a dozen or so cars ready? ;)

I saw 2 KC's in Lot E, one was from East Texas and I spoke with the owner as he was parking. His dad had purchased the car originally and he was the 2nd owner. He was looking for bumpers also. The other KC had red interior and no plates, and the owner was not around. I saw him pull in as we were parking cars on the next row over, but could not break away to talk to him. It sounded pretty good and had dual exhaust out the back.

I also saw a white with red stripes CBII turn the corner at the cruise-in in Homewood and stopped traffic to speak to him. He had New York plates and 3 passengers stuffed inside. Saw him again the next day in the Fan Zone for a few minutes, then he left. Also saw another white w/red stripes CBII parked in the Paddock as we passed by on the tram on Saturday. I believe it had a handicap plate, but could not tell what state it was from.

Saw the brown hatchback pull in on Thursday headed toward Lot E or the Paddock, but never saw it again.

Saw the brown Western coupe at the cruise-in and we spoke with the owners for a couple of minutes. Nice couple.

I missed the white w/blue stripes CBII, but my wife registered them and spoke with them.

I didn't know we had this many list members attending. We should have planned something.

I spoke with the owner of the white/red stripes CBII and his son's several times. Unfortunately their names escape me. They started in Fan Zone, but were moved to Paddock on Saturday because he was judging.

I swear I saw a brown KC in the judged area of the Paddock Friday, but I'll have to go through my pics to be sure.

The blue/white stripes CBII had the aircraft style fuel filler door that I've been thinking about trying, but from the distortion in the fender, it wasn't a perfect fit. I'll look into the dimensions a bit more before purchasing.

I'll talk to our registrar at our next meeting and see if I can get a list of the registered MII's. That way we can be sure.

But sounds like we had 6-7 attend.

I was surprised not to see Phil...he's only a few hours away.

I seen 1 KC, 1 hatchback, 1 CB II and that was it. The KC was immaculate but the others had the usual problems (cracked bumpers, etc). It was rather disappointing but I guess I can't be too demanding since my car wasn't out there. I think I walked over the entire field on Saturday... where did u guys see three CB IIs?

d

I know thge guy who owns the King Cobra(black one right?) It is very very nice.

I know thge guy who owns the King Cobra(black one right?) It is very very nice.

Yes, we spoke to him. He is a nice guy and done a great job on the restoration. I think he has five IIs. I noticed it didn't have any rub marks on the paint where the hood, hatch, etc meet. Also no cracks in the paint anywhere and the areas around the hatch had been smoothed with filler. After talking with him, he said he trailers it everywhere and only starts it up to move it around.

d

I never saw the hatchback. Where was it parked?

The hatchback was parked in the paddock. It had tangerine interior... never seen that before.

We went to the fun zone but didn't see the blue/white CB II.

I attended the event with another II owner. He has a restored 76 CB II. He definitely should have taken the car to get it judged... it was nicer than any of the other CB IIs we looked at and more stock too. Did they have a separate group for the IIs or did we have to compete with the fox bodies?

I would imagine that the MCA 35th and Mustang 50th Anniversaries will be in either Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville. We've got till 2011 for the MCA and till 2014 for the Mustang anniversaries. Think we can get a dozen or so cars ready? ;)

I've already dedicated myself to drive my car to the 50th... so I'm all in! ;-) We'll definitely have to get together and plan to do something fun... just us II owners... we can commiserate about the pains of urethane bumpers :--)

d