Mustang As First (and Last) Sports Car?

Bob Carver

Oct 21, 2017
Mustang as first (and last) sports car?

Hi! I'm yet another Bob. I'm in my early 70s and I've never had any interest in automobiles. Grew up in the deep south and have no winter experience in non AWD cars. Been driving smaller 4 cylinder Outbacks for the past 23+ years. The past two years driving the 2015 with its improved handling it occurred to me that driving a sports car might actually be fun. And at my age you're much more likely to find new pains rather than new pleasures. So I think I want to go for it. And the 2018 Mustang looks like what I want that's in my budget. I'm a year from buying our next car, and first need to find out if I'm willing to drive a RWD. I'm concerned I wont be able to muster the skills needed to drive in bad weather...not something I would choose to do, but I've been caught in unexpected weather before. The plan at present is to schedule 3 hours at the Porsche Driving School in Atlanta next spring. If I'm still interested after that I'd likely schedule 3 more hours. But of course you have to drive a Porsche (718) which is, of course, not going to handle like a Mustang. Anyone know of other such “schools” in the southeast or mid Atlantic? (Talking about driving not racing schools here... schools that have polished, wetted driving areas.)

In any case greetings and thanks for any suggestions or thoughts for an elderly prospective newbie.

Bob C.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang as first (and last) sports car?
In any case greetings and thanks for any suggestions or thoughts for an elderly prospective newbie.
Bob C.
I'm 75. Bought my first Mustang at 22, a '65 "K" car, brand new, High Performance Package, Aug., 1964. One of the best, most enjoyable cars I've owned (out of over 50). Other Mustangs: '67 Coupe, '67 GT-500 Cobra, '89 5.0, '90 5.0, '93 Cobra, all mostly in that order, the Cobra in 1996, needing body work, which I did. I was then 54.

Last May, I bought a '94 GT 5.0L HO w/5-speed manual. Had not driven/ridden in any similar car since 2005 (when I gave the Cobra to my nephew). The GT is said to have harsher suspension than it's counterpart Cobra of one year earlier. I believe that. However, it has those non-sidewall tires, which surely flex less.

Driving the '94 is exhilarating, like driving a "real" car again, after 3 Explorers and an F-150. I can tell you this: if you have any arthritic conditions which cause stiffness and/or pain, do a bit of test-driving before you commit. I have to use extra care exiting to avoid swinging that "barn door" out towards a next-door parked car. Sometimes, pain in my left foot/ankle interfere somewhat with clutch operation. Otherwise, I love the car, but hate being "old". Here's what it looks like:

new_mu11.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
The only school I'm aware of is the bob bondurant school of high performance driving but it's in Arizona. There are track days at various road tracks but it's road racing in groups and it does offer trainers and ridealongs.
Welcome to stangnet

Thanks, and yes I will approach this with caution and seriousness... till it's fun time. Had both knees replaced so I'm feeling "good. LOL. The car is sweet! We will, however, be going for the ten speed which I feel will perform changing gears far more competently and consistently than I ever could. For someone like me, thinking about the break, the accelerator, and the wheel is probably enough.

Karthief, thanks for the info. But again I just want to learn basic things like learning how to properly regain control in a spin out or slipping on ice. Really, I'm a very ...uh.. modestly skilled driver.

The bbshpd has classes for everyday drivers, learning skid control, emergency/accident avoidance, google dude, google.
It seems the stick shift car is on the decline, the automatics that are available today spectacular
I'll keep my stick car for as long as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Mr. Carver, I too bought my first pony this summer. Living in Utah the winters get pretty bad. This isn't my first sports car (2 Camaro thingies) & yet I too was very concerned about winter driving, after doing some extensive research I found the mustangs traction control is supposed to do very well in the snow n slick stuff.
When the snow flies I'm going to find a big parking lot n feel the throttle to spin ratio. Oh & it gets the blood flowing for a tick
Feel the car out & keep a light foot that's how I did it with the Camaro thingies & got through some pretty hairball situations.
Good luck & thanks for allowing my 2¢

Feel the car out & keep a light foot that's how I did it with the Camaro thingies & got through some pretty hairball situations.
Good luck & thanks for allowing my 2¢

I don't drive it in bad weather, got a DD for that. Even with a new car's better rust resistance I wouldn't like salting it away.

Thanks. We will keep a Subaru so long as we live in the north. My concern is more stuff like rain on greasy roads. Wife and I drove a Pinto and an F150 for years in NJ, but that was over 40 years ago.

As for salt ... too old (too little time left) to be willing to give up the fun for 5 months of the year :)

Thanks. We will keep a Subaru so long as we live in the north. My concern is more stuff like rain on greasy roads. Wife and I drove a Pinto and an F150 for years in NJ, but that was over 40 years ago.

As for salt ... too old (too little time left) to be willing to give up the fun for 5 months of the year :)

It is actually safer for me with the Mustang on rainy roads because I am always aware of the possibility and drive accordingly. While in the ZX2(front wheel drive) I tend to dive it more aggressively and on first rain streets or heavy rain it don't matter what you drive, its how you drive. Had a Pinto Station Wagon nuff said.

I am to old for snow or a lot of rain and enjoy driving the GT year around except for a handful of days of rain(It is garaged so I am lazy and arthritic and don't want to wash and wax it after a rain usually).