My 3.90's aren't that great.

Isn't there a way to jack up one rear tire off the ground (tranny in nuetral), turn it one revolution and count the number of times the drive shaft turns? If it turns 3 times then you could guess you got 2.90's instead of the 3.90's. I am curious myself but this kind of makes sense to me. I could be wrong but isn't that what a ring gear does? 3.90's would require the 3.9 revolutions input to the diff in order to get one revolution out?

Bo

• Sponsors (?)

Just a suggestion. To make sure you have the correct gear without taking the rear apart, jack up the rear end, put a tie wrap around the driveshaft and have it pointing down. Now have a buddy turn the rear wheels exactly one full turn and count the number of times the tie wrap goes around. It should go just short of 4 times if you have 3.90 gears. If it only goes 3 times you may have 3.08's or something. That would be the first place to look. Very easy to do.

DC-GT said:
Isn't there a way to jack up one rear tire off the ground (tranny in nuetral), turn it one revolution and count the number of times the drive shaft turns? If it turns 3 times then you could guess you got 2.90's instead of the 3.90's. I am curious myself but this kind of makes sense to me. I could be wrong but isn't that what a ring gear does? 3.90's would require the 3.9 revolutions input to the diff in order to get one revolution out?

Bo

Yup.

The problem is with the Speed Cal. Get the Speed Cal fixed and then worry about the gears later.

Yeah I wouldnt go and be all drastic and jump to 4.30's lol. Its not the gear, its something else I hate to say.
I know I still forget I have 3.73's in and will loose it in 2nd, even had 3rd break loose on me shifting onto the hw the other week. Granted I was pissed cause someone cut me off but hey :D