My 88 GT budget build...Project Garbage Pile

FordRacing302

5 Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
Cleveland, TN
This is the day I drove it home a couple months ago after paying $500 for it...

IMG_1362-1.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

The reason why the car was so cheap was part of the deal was that I had to pull the engine and give him back his longblock, which he thought was "built"...All it was, was a stock 5.0 with a B cam...So I drove it home, and began pulling the engine

1230101528-001.jpg

1230101713-001.jpg

0116111539-011.jpg

I got rid of those ugly chesse graders

0216111304-001.jpg

0216111226-001.jpg

I started getting rid of the hideous GT ground effects and got rid of the gigantic hood

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

Ill be replacing the shaved doors with a set of manual doors...With handles!!!!

IMG_1390.jpg

Next up is the engine thats going in the car, I bought a explorer shortblock with less than 100,000 miles. I bought a set of GT40P heads and had them surfaced and a valve job done. And bought a Trick Flow valve spring kit....I have a Trick Flow stage 1 cam on the way

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

Ill keep you fellas updated as I go, This is just a start

• Sponsors (?)

Nice start. always good to see someone who can spit shine a turd and make it something worth having.
Not to say your cars a turd or anything. :D

Friend of mine had shaved doors on one of his Stangs. They were solenoid operated. good thing his had a T-top with loose glass. Battery dead = CANT get in your damn car. So he got in redneck style.. hah

nice work on this build so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Wow man, at first I was like why are you getting rid of that sweet hood, but it looks like you're trying to restore this thing, looks good. May I ask, why you got rid of the ground effects? Do you plan on making it an LX? Or just keeping the GT front and rear with no side skirts? That would look weird.

If you were closer, id probably take that hood off your hands. Going to need it for sure.
Good luck with the build, cant go anywhere but up with a car like that.

Looks to me like you know what needs to be done to turn that thing into a nice looking car. I've drug crap like that up to the house years back and my family went uuuuggghhh! yuck! But you know what? when I was done, they always looked great, and people fought to buy them when I sold them! Keep it up, man! little more work and some paint....:nice:

Oh wow... all I have to say is good job on rescuing that Fox. Years of redneck half ass shade tree ownership has left that car in ruin. Glad you are bringing it back to be a respectable member of Foxbody society.

The "built longblock" thing made me laugh. :D B cam in a stock motor? No bottom end, no top end.... I bet it was like a 2.3 driving it home.

Thanks 90mustangGT...It definately wasn't that impressive to drive

Did a little work today...I picked up front and rear LX bumpers for $75, shot them real quick with some flat black rustoleum and got the rear installed...Hopefully Ill have time to swap the front tomorrow. Next will be drilling out all the rivets that hold the GT brackets and filling the holes.

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

Looking good. Interesting how it had the LX rear fin. Anyways it's going to be easier and it's going to look better as a LX. GT's can look good BUT it's hard because the ground effects being straight is hard to come by. The material just warps up and looks like crap. Mine is going LX also, I'm keeping the GT rear wing though. One day I'll be able to paint it. :)