My Passenger Door has a Rare Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
This evening, one of my friends tried to get into my Mustang on the passenger side. As he was rushing to get into my the car, he accidently shut the door on his coat's hard large marble sized round plastic/metal ball which is attached on a pull cord string from his coat. The round plastic/metal ball is as big as an extra large marble and as hard as a marble/rock. He shut the door hard on it and it accidently got caught on the bottom part of the door between the door and the door sill (the inside part of the running board where the door shuts on the door sill). When he shut the door on the round/plastic metal ball, it sounded like a big cracking sound. Like a loud snap. After he heard this and realized what happened, he immediately opened the door and pulled his coat's cord back inside the car.

When I got home this evening, under a floodlight, I inspected the inside bottom part of the passenger door and the bottom part of the plastic interior passenger door moulding area. I also inspected the interior bottom part of the door sill where the running board is located. There wasn't much light outside when I inspected this area, but I have a floodlight in the back of my house and I also used a flashlight. I didn't notice any scrapes, gouges or paint chipping on the painted part of the door sill running board area, but I couldn't see that clearly outside. But I did notice that the bottom part of the plastic moulding that's attached to the interior of the passenger door has some shaved gouges on it. But the gouges don't look like they were made from the round plastic/metal ball that got caught in between the bottom of the door and the inside bottom part of the door sill (the side and top part of the running board where the passenger door closes on). The gouges are on the corner of the bottom part of the plastic door moulding right where the plastic door moulding angles to go under the door. It looks like small chunks of shavings were shaved off a 6" inch long area down there. Also, I noticed that there was a small area beneath the passenger door right where the plastic door moulding ends that has some paint chipped off the underneath of the door. I cannot tell whether the door was like this from before or if it just occurred when the rounded marble sized plastic/metal ball got caught between the door and the interior part of the running board.

From what I have described above here I need to know these things:

1. Do you think that there was any damage done to the door itself or to the paint under the door or to the paint on the door sill area from when the object got caught between the door and door sill?

2. Do you also think that there was also any damage done to the bottom part of the interior plastic door moulding or to the plastic moulding where the running board is located on top of the interior door sill area when the round/metal object got caught in there between the door and the soor sill when the door closed upon it?

3. Do you think that the bottom metal painted part of the passenger door where I detected the paint chip was caused from the object getting caught between the door and door sill? Or do you think that the paint was chipped from the factory?

4. Do you think that the bottom interior part of the plastic door moulding is ruined from the gouges that I detected on it? With the floodlight on and with my flashlight, I couldn't see any scrapes, gouges or dents there. I only see the shavings that are shaved off of the bottom part of the passenger door's plastic door moulding.

5. Do you think that this was the way that this plastic moulding came like from the factory?

I am very worried that there might be some damage done to the whole area that I described above from the object getting caught in the door when my friend accidently shut the door on it. He shut the door with force so I am not sure how much damage this may have caused here.

Has anybody in here had a similar situation? Do you think that something could have been damaged by what I have described in here? Do you think that this is a common problem (getting things accidently caught between the door and door sill) and that nothing was damaged here? I try to keep my car in pristine condition and I never allow anyone to touch or to ride in my car. I am really worried that this incident might have done some damage. Please give me your input regarding my questions above about this incident. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Take a dollup of modeling clay, and form it around a piece of string to roughly the same size and shape as the coat ball. Now slam the door on it and see how much it is deformed. That will give you some idea of the potential for damage.

Do you people actually beleive that NOTHING was really damaged from this incident?

Seriously, I brought this thread up because I am afraid that when the door got slammed shut on this very hard rock sized object that it might have damaged and rubbed the paint off underneath on the passenger door or on the rocker panel door sill. I am afraid that rust will form in that area if my car is exposed to the salty roads that I drive on up here. When I inspected the areas this evening under the floodlights with a flashlight, I was unable to see clearly whether or not any damage was really done. I will reinspect it again during the daytime hours. I am not sure if there is any damage there and what the extent of the damage is.

I am also concerned about the plastic moulding on the inside of the door warping, cracking and getting loose from the impact when the hard object got caught inside the door when the door was slammed shut onto it. I wouldn't say that the object was soft as clay. It wasn't. It was the size of a large sized jaw breaker and it was made of a very hard SOLID plastic/metal composition. So please tell me if you think that I might have done any damage to the areas of my car which I listed in here? And Please be serious about it. Thanks.

Sure you could damage it, if you can't see it without a bloody floodlight, flashlight, tanning bed, spotlight, street lamp, etc. on it, I wouldn't worry. Hell I have a cracked rocker panel, chips from rocks off the road hitting my car on the hood and the fake air vents behind the doors. Even my trunk has a chip, how the hell that happened I have no idea, but it is a V6, therefore it is cheap-er than most mustangs these days. Plus if your gonna drive it, expect some casualties of war man! I have a 3 year old daughter, trust me the inside of my car is hard to keep untrashed. I realize you have nothing better to do than fret about the angle of trajectory which the zipper of some guys coat got caught in the door at, but I really just don't care anymore, I'm going to shoot myself now!

If you see visible damage get it fixed, if not keep looking you may find something. Like a crack, actually you know I bet a marbel sized hard plastic/metal foreign object could seriously damage the car, it may be undriveable...do you realize there are children starving in ethiopia??

It wasn't a tiny zipper that got caught between the bottom of the door and inside of the door sill/rocker panel. It was a very Large Jaw breaker sized (about 1" inch in diameter) solid plastic/metal ball that was attached to a pull cord on my friend's winter coat. The door was slammed on this thing. It sounded like a loud cracking sound when the door slammed on it. Like a loud snap when the door shut on it. A solid object that big might of dented the sheet metal or damaged the paint job on the painted area of the bottom part of the door or on the painted area of the door sill/rocker panel area. Or it could have cracked or punctured the bottom part of the plastic interior door moulding or the door sill/rocker panel moulding. There was not enough light outside from the floodlight and from my flashlight so I couldn't see very clearly when I inspected the areas that I just mentioned here. I just hope that there isn't any damage. When I inspected these areas mentioned here, I couldn't find any damage. But I may not have looked good enough.

Why do you think that shutting a large heavy door with such brute force on a solid object that's 1" inch in diameter wouldn't cause any damage? I am hoping that there is no damage. I will have to do a thorough inspection during the daylight tomorrow. If anything, I hope that there is no paint damage done to the painted areas of the door or rocker panel/door sill area. I also hope that there are no cracked plastic door sill mouldings in the rocker panel or cracked interior door panel mouldings from this incident. This is what I am really worried about here.

Have the Drugs you were on wore off yet.....

If there was/is scratches in the paint and it is that serious take it to a shop and have them repair it as it sounds to me that you are incapable of repairing yourself if you are stressing over them. If you cracked, scratched, dented or harmed in any other way the plastic peice order another or get from the junk yard if it is bringing such stress in your life. As for me personally if the door has not been knocked off to where it doesn't shut properly or open properly no harm done other then comestics which can be easily fixed.

Bottom line
Q - S.O.B.S. otherwise known as Quit Stressing Over Bull*****.

And that's just my $.02,
te'

Status
Not open for further replies.