Need quick help with locking lug nut that has no key.

95tealGT

Jan 5, 2003
Altoona, PA
This summer I lost my key to my locking lug nuts. I had some work done to my rear a few months ago and my mechanic was able to somehow mangle the rear ones off without the key.

I'm now trying to install rims and the backs are on but now I need the front ones on. I tried for about 2 hours last night to get the god forsaken locking lug nut off. I took a chissel to it and chisseled off about half an inch of it, then I turned the chissel sideways so that it was hitting the lug nut in the direction to break it loose. No luck. The chissel just digs deeper into the lug nut. Now the lug nut is just molded crap, the lug stem is shot, and I still cant get my from rims on.

All I want to know is how to get that damn lug nut off, or how I can break off the lug stem, I'll replace it later, I just want my rims on for now. Anybody have any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

funny....just did this yesterday. well if you break the lug itself off, you will have to have each one replaced and you cant do it yourself because you need a press. gonna have to either hammer a socket on there and try to get it off yourself or spend like $40 and have a place take them off and put new ones on. i got lucky and found a place to take them off for $5 apiece. cheapest ive ever seen.

Listen CAREFULLY,

Take a size 21(one size- or one size+, 12 point 1/2 inch socket.

Get a hammer, hammer it IN the lug nut, it will fit VERY snug, great.

Now just turn them off.

Now take the socket with the lug nut in a vise and punch out the lug nut.

This will take care of your missing lug nut situation.

We had to do this a few times in the past.

If you are working with garbage tools, they will break during this operation, so make sure you have some quality tools available at least.(Craftsman is quality enough)

Gluck!
Pete

Pete, I just tried that method, and after hammering in the sockets snug, I turned the socket wrench with a little bit of extra leverage, and the sockets started slipping inside of the lug nut. The socket actually warped the inside of the lug nut. This is becoming so unbelievable frustrating, I'm probably going to do like true blue said and take it to sears and just get them to mangle it off. I dont care how it comes off, I just want the damn thing off.

Was it a 12point socket? Metric?

Those lug nuts must be on PRETTY TIGHT to be slipping like that.

We never really had a problem, then of course that 1 out of 10 that does have the problem, we have the AIR CHISSLE.

I hope you get those off without much trouble at Sears!

Sorry to hear it didnt work out.

Pete

If you mangled the lug nuts as bad as you said you may need to use a smaller socket. Use the tightest fitting on you can. You will have to hammer the crap out of it to get it on. Then don't push slowly on your rachet and don't use a impact gun, Get a good stands where you can give a good, quick kick. I have gotten many off in this method. Good luck

Weld a large nut to the end of the mangled lug. McGuard (maker of the friggin' wheel locks) says to over torque the other lugs to get pressure off the lock. But if the lock is mangled try welding a nut to it if nothing else works.