NEED SERIOUS OBDII HELP...

overpower

May 8, 2009
I purchased a 2007 Mustang GT 4.6 a few months ago. Very low milage (10k) and several performance mods already in place. My local Ford Dealer (who deals with alot of performance modified Mustangs) checked it out and confirmed the following mods: JLT Intake, Long Tube Headers, Borla Catback Exhaust, IMRC Deletes (Throttle Plates Deletes) and 4:10 rear. The car is excellent. However,
The guy we purchased the car from did not have the programmer for the computer. I purchased a SCT programmer and 3 custom tunes. The car now runs better than ever. I needed to run the car thru NJ Inspection, so I acquired a custom tune just for that purpose.. Basically just to get the OBDII readiness to complete. We drove the car for a few days, tried to follow the Ford OBDII Drive Cycle, but several Monitors are still not complete. O2 Sensor, O2 Heater and Catalyst monitors all still say incomplete on my scanner. We had SCT check the tune directly and they say all should be good. I re-loaded the tune and tried again. Still get the same results. The EVAP go to OK after a bit of driving but the same 3 monitors will not complete. I drove the drive cycle this morning for about an hour and again this evening but still no change.. The Dealer confirmed that the 02 sensors are operating... Does Anyone have any ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

That's an odd problem. Have you tried returning the car to stock just to see if those parameters will complete the test? I'd try that first. It may be that with the custom tunes those parameters may be turned off. I don't know why they would be since you didn't mention you had a O/R pipe. Let us know what you come up with. Pearl02.

seen cars in town driven for a week not go ready [cat and o2] its tough to diag problems by what you read and as little onfo we get i am a master tech and a state inspector run in this kind of thing all the time to get cat and o2 ready a good highway run works most of the time. Assume there no other problems that the computer wont turn the mil light on for

Thanks but I feel like I have tried all of these suggestions. I have loaded many different tune attempts both by SCT and others and still get the same results. I guess it s possible that it needs to be driven more. I will try a few highway runs and see what happens. I did try the stock tune a while ago and did get things to go ready, but of course threw the MIL light because of some of the mods. Just to clarify a point: When I loaded a basic performance tune, I got 4 Not Readys.. They were EVAP, O2, O2 Heater and Cat. SCT changed one setting in the tune which was the P1000 enable. When I loaded this new tune, after a little driving the EVAP went ready, but the other 3 are still incomplete, so I know the computer is monitoring correctly. If I can supply any additional info that will help get this resolved, PLEASE let me know what would help diagnose the problem. I even have the Hot Rod guys at the dealer stumped...

I just completed a several hour drive. 124 miles to be exact. Around town, stop and go, back roads for a while and then highway 50 - 90 mph for about 45 minutes.. No change at all in the readiness. Still shows O2, O2 heater and Cat not ready. To me, this is now driving me insane. I am an old motorhead.. This stuff is driving me nuts. What now? If I load the stock tune, I will have to drive another few drive cycles and it will set off a few codes and my MIL light again. Just like before ( and the car will run like sh**). Any last minute thoughts? I am pretty much at the end of my rope with this. This garbage should not be that complicated. (I am a computer programmer and have been for 30 years. Who ever wrote this crap and cant fix it should be shot.)

You never mentioned if you have cats or not. I'd guess you don't, or they're high flow cats. And that's why the stock tune is setting codes. The SCT custom tunes probably are written to prevent the cat monitoring codes from setting, thus the readiness monitors won't set. O2 sensor heater circuit readiness monitors should complete pretty quickly from a cold start. You may well have to go back to almost stock, so the factory tune will pass all readiness monitors. If the OBD II tests were so easy to fool, I'd throw long tubes on my car, but they're not, and that's to prevent guys like us from bypassing emissions equipment.

Quote.. (I am a computer programmer and have been for 30 years. Who ever wrote this crap and cant fix it should be shot.)
If the emissions software were that easy to bypass, the tree huggers would have the programmers and engineers shot.

NJ does have visual inspection of emissions control devices but they are not like Cali. As a matter of fact no one is like Cali......emissions ref? wtf is that nonsense.

ref are impartial state employed inspectors who provide a source for consumers who need assistance in passing smog. they can help in a dispute between a consumer and repair facility, and can certify engine changes. they can do a lot more also.

Sorry Guys.. I'm just loosing my mind.. Spoke to JDM today and they swear that they do these types of mods all the time and can write a tune that should allow the drive cycle to complete correctly.. I am awaiting the tune.. Will let you know the results and hopefully why this was such an issue.

STILL BROKEN - I contacted JDM who said they deal with my type of setup all the time and sent me a tune that should work fine. I installed the tune last night and cleared the codes. I have driven the car for 150 miles in all kinds of conditions, including following the Drive Cycle hoping to get this resolved. Still the same problem - 3 incompletes in the readiness list. THey are Catalyst Monitor, O2 Sensor Monitor and O2 Heater Monitor. Does anyone have any Idea why this would be happening? I do not get any OBD codes and the MIL light is off. PLEASE HELP ! !

I've done that before. Obviously when I load the stock tune, It sets the MIL light for O2 Sensors and Heater. They are there and working, but the Long Tubes and Catback set it off.