Need your expert opinions

Anfs89GT

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2001
Coatesville, PA
Looking to buy a mustang and am seriously considering a cobra. Right now there is a 97 cobra for sale but it has 87,000 miles on it. I havent even driven it yet but I want to know if it is even worth considering with that high of mileage on it. The "bottom line" price is $10,700. PLEASE give me your thoughts on whether to consider this snake or not.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought mine a year and a half ago, for 11500, totally stock, with 96000 miles on it. if your gonna get a mustang, try to get a cobra. Just have someone you know check it over really good. I haven't had any problems with mine, but when I bought it, I expected to have to fix, or modify alot of stuff, as needed. I wish I had a stock picture of it, but couldn't wait to start changing out stuff. My cardomain link has some pics, before and after wheels, after about 1300 bucks in suspension mods. that price is pretty close to loan value. just drive it, you will know immediately if you have to have it or not. good luck, chris. if you plan on keeping it and it is in good condition, it should last as long as you take care of it.

consider it. it may be worth it. look it over thoroughly. look at the undercarriage for any signs of leakage, check the rear diff, the pinion seal, tranny, look for oil or signs of leaks. test drive it and check everything, a/c,heat,cruise and listen for anything you may feel is unusual.

I have a 99 heavily modified cobra that has close to 70,000 miles. It is my daily driver and has been taken care of very well. If the stang has been taken care of, you could put another 50,000 miles on her. I agree about checking underneath to look at the tranny, dif, pinon, etc...taking it to a dealer to look at is good only if you are very serious about purchasing it.

mine had rust that came through the trunk, on both sides of the spare tire well. just guessing evaporation through frame rail. might want to check that. If you drive it and get on it through several gears, you'll probably notice if something is wrong. expect a little bump around 3200 rpm, normal imrc's opening. you could probably tell alot from spark plugs, as far as the engine goes. I saw a gt for sale, and #1 plug was full of rusted coolant. Just get it checked out, by a trusted mechanic, as if they were going to get it. Good luck, youll love it.

DoHcHoLlIdAy01 said:
I my experience it is better to wait to find a low mileage car and spend a little more for that reason. Unless of course you don't have the extra money. :D

I would have to agree, I got my '01 Cobra not too long ago with 6400 miles on it in perfect condition. It is basically a new car and thus when I got it I didn't have the usual "waiting for the first problem to show" anxiety that one usually gets when buying used things. :cheers:

Thanks a lot for all your advice everyone. I actually went down to the dealer the other day and didnt like the car just from the looks of it. I think I am going to wait for a nice low mileage cobra like you suggested. I plan on keeping this car for a loooong while and dont want to get screwed with one that has been beat to hell.

I think I found a steal, what do you think? It is a 96 Mystic Cobra with only 43,000 miles on it. The only mods are a Flowmaster exhaust and Cobra R rims. The car is in immaculate condition and I got the guy down to $11,900. He is also including all 4 of the stock rims. What do you all think, I am really excited!

Anfs89GT said:
I think I found a steal, what do you think? It is a 96 Mystic Cobra with only 43,000 miles on it. The only mods are a Flowmaster exhaust and Cobra R rims. The car is in immaculate condition and I got the guy down to $11,900. He is also including all 4 of the stock rims. What do you all think, I am really excited!

Cool, better get that mang!!! :nice:

Anfs89GT said:
Well I am buying the car out of state so I will have to get it inspected right after I get it. How indepth should the check be??? And by the way...what is a "mang"??? :shrug:

I'd say just have a mechanic that knows that type of car look over it. Or buy an extended warranty, a bumper to bumper warranty.
My bad, a little MustangWorld lingo, mang = man :D