New block for 98 Cobra S/C

LtSellers

Feb 12, 2007
Rapid City, SD
I recently purchased a 98 Cobra with a Vortech V2 and other mods. Long story short I went to get it dyno'd and they pretty much told me I need a new bottom end. Before whatever problem, it was pushing around 460hp. I am not planning on taking it higher than 550, so with that being said, any suggestions on a short block? I have been looking at the MMR 900 block but was wondering if there's anything else? Also, any suggestions as to possibly going to a crate 5.0? Will a Lightning 5.4 block fit, and if so what mods would have to be done? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would buy one from Livernois Motorsports, or Sean Hyland. But why do you need a new short block? How did they determine this just from the dyno, was it knocking, smoking?? Because smoking is no big deal. My Mustang did it, I have seen brand new cars smoke a little on the dyno. If it was excessively smoking, I would say valve seals, not a bottom end. 460RWHP is a lot if the tuning is incorrect.

I'm not new to the mustang thing, however I am to the technical side so all the info I can give is what was given to me. For starters, I purchased the car back in march and was told by the previous owner that it could use a new tune b/c he had installed a smaller blower pulley since the last tune and that it was running rich/lean b/c of this, and it would sputter sometimes when getting off the throttle and the idle was terrible. In the end it was chipped it with a safe tune according to what they thought could possibly be the problem. I couldnt afford to have the engine gone through at the time since I essentially pissed away 1300 bucks for the "safe tune" and new coils and wires in an effort to diagnose the problem. They guestimated that it was something in the block and said I'd be better off just buying a MMR 900 block to handle the increased boost........like I said before I have no technical knowledge, all I can do is go with what people tell me until I can either buy a new block, or have someone go through mine to see exactly what the deal is. Thanks for the input

as far as mods go, my car has : Vortech V2 S/C with aftercooler & smaller pulley, bbk longtubes, borla SVO side exhaust, bored .20 over with bigger pistons, K&N filter, 4.10s, bbk springs, vortech fuel pump, 42# injectors, MSD ignition, B&M shifter

I'm not new to the mustang thing, however I am to the technical side so all the info I can give is what was given to me. For starters, I purchased the car back in march and was told by the previous owner that it could use a new tune b/c he had installed a smaller blower pulley since the last tune and that it was running rich/lean b/c of this, and it would sputter sometimes when getting off the throttle and the idle was terrible. So I took it to Murillo Motorsports in San Antonio, TX which is where I was stationed at the time and they were not able to fully tune it b/c of whatever problem. In the end they chipped it with a safe tune according to what they thought could possibly be the problem. I couldnt afford to have the engine gone through at the time since I essentially pissed away 1300 bucks for the "safe tune" and new coils and wires in an effort to diagnose the problem. They guestimated that it was something in the block and said I'd be better off just buying a MMR 900 block to handle the increased boost........like I said before I have no technical knowledge, all I can do is go with what people tell me until I can either buy a new block, or have someone go through mine to see exactly what the deal is. Thanks for the input

as far as mods go, my car has : Vortech V2 S/C with aftercooler & smaller pulley, bbk longtubes, borla SVO side exhaust, bored .20 over with bigger pistons, K&N filter, 4.10s, bbk springs, vortech fuel pump, 42# injectors, MSD ignition, B&M shifter

1300 bucks for a tune is really steep. Here in Michigan there are two shops people use, but I only use one. Anyways, from the knowledge I have received from my tuner, the thing you want is good air/fuel. He had my car making 436RWHP, did not like the air/fuel and tuned it down to 414. The car has been safe since 2004 at the time of the install/tune. With your smaller pulley you generate more heat which will make the car lean due to increased air and less fuel. This will cause detonation. The after coolers buy Vortec, he does not recommend because they cause driveability issues and tuning issues. He hates them matter of fact. The best thing to cool temps is methanol injection.

Now...your mods....they sound really good. The injectors and pump are large enough to support your boost with the stock pulley and no FMU. Due to increased boost, you may find yourself needing bigger injectors...it depends on the car, they are all different. 0.20 over? Someone has been in the motor, so are you sure that is not your gremlin and not the increased boost? See if the shop can install the stock pulley, and tune like that. Anyways, I guess this will be hard to decide! I hope they can figure it out!!!!:flag:

I would buy one from Livernois Motorsports, or Sean Hyland. But why do you need a new short block? How did they determine this just from the dyno, was it knocking, smoking?? Because smoking is no big deal. My Mustang did it, I have seen brand new cars smoke a little on the dyno. If it was excessively smoking, I would say valve seals, not a bottom end. 460RWHP is a lot if the tuning is incorrect.

Whoa, stay away from sean hyland, they don't even know what gaskets the cobra uses :notnice: