New From Northwest Indiana

jamroz37

Feb 21, 2016
Hey guys just stopping in the say hi. In from northwest indiana just bought a 2012 mustang gt premium in in love with it. Quick question though sometimes my gears when I shift go in smooth as butter and others its harder to shift into gear especially at high rpms if anyone else could address this for me if appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

image.jpeg

Bought it with 36,100 who ever had it must have beat on her a little as the short block was replaced under ford warranty 10 miles before I bought it so bascislly breaking it in like a new motor

Welcome! I'm curious...Why was the short block replaced? As far as shifting, I never had transmission issues with my 2012 but I have seen others complain about high rpm shifts. Is it only happening on a certain gear or under certain conditions?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm going to talk to the ford mechanic who worked on the car next week. The general manager called me after I found out and told me it was done all under ford warranty and installed by ford. He said they they could have gotten away with doing less but they pushed the get the short block replaced. But yea it's around 5k RPM that when I try to shift its almost like it doesn't let me I literally have to shove it in and I feel like I'm going to break it. During normal driving its either a super smooth shift or the shifter feels kinda sloppy almost like somethings not greased right

Ok. It would be good to get more info but a new short block is always welcome. Lol. The sloppy shifter can be fixed by getting an aftermarket shifter. The two popular brands are Barton and MGW. MGW is what most people recommend but both will work well and give you crisper and shorter shifts (make sure you also get the bracket if you pick Barton). For the high rpm shifts, make sure you've got the simple stuff down: the clutch is fully disengaged until you are in gear and you aren't accidentally not shifting into the right gear or something. The only reason I say this is because a few people have "solved" their high rpm shift issues with an aftermarket shifter. I'm not calling you a newb but sometimes it's the simple mechanics that get us. If you are doing everything correctly, you should mention it to the mechanic and probably bring it in for them to take a look. If the previous owner beat up the engine, he probably also put a beating on the transmission...at high rpm.

No affense taken lol I technically am a newbie well to mustang not stick. Had a 2003 srt4 for awhile. Yea I'm going to look into those kits to see if it will make a difference I hope and from some I have heard it has with the kinda sloppyness and more smooth shifting. Does the bracket make a difference also with " smoothness" ? I've seen the stock one is kinda rubbery and flimsily as the kits have more stern hard plastic

The bracket should help with some of the play in the shifter but it's only necessary with the Barton shifter. The MGW shifter is somewhat of a standalone unit. I haven't driven one in a while but both should significantly reduce any sloppiness and they will probably feel notchy coming from the stock shifter. The shifts should feel more secure and quicker. If you want more info you can Google search both and find tons of threads of people reviewing them.

I was reading a lot about the steeda bushing and mount it said it was fixing a lot of people's 2-3rd gear shifts so I ordered it and I guess I'll find out if it makes any difference I hope so