New start up problems, Help!

88convert

Jan 16, 2004
Indiana
Ok Guys,
A few questions. My rebuild started right off the bat, I broke the cam in and now the tinkering starts. Today I had it idling and it was surging about up and down about 500 RPM. I took it down to the corner and back and when I back off the gas to shift (about 3000 RPM) I got this weird rumbling noise. I took it back to the garage and reved it up from the engine compartment to about 3500 - 4000 and got the same noise and it sounded like it came from the K&N down by the front bumper. It is a weird kind of a fluttering noise like the VAM door is shuttering .
When I free rev it like that it also acts like the valves float or something. It runs rough and dies. If you re-start it and hold the idle up to about 1500 or so, it smooths out again.

The motor is totaly new. Bored 30 and new everything.
New ported E6, new T3 turbo, ported and polished head, with stock size valves, Engle 111 cam, Racer Walsh cam gear, ported in-line 4 SVO intake, 35 lb injectors, adjustable FPR, LA3, SVO intercooler, 3" downpipe, 3" straight thru cat, dual 2 1/2 dynomax super turbo cat-back.
SVO VAM with a remote 3" intake behind the front bumper. All new sensors.
The valve spring tension was set at 90 pounds closed when I did the head.

I know with all the experience out there some one should have some ideas.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The fluttering is the vam door!!! I was getting the same thing when you rev it up and have a lot of air in there and let off it the air has nowhere to go back back to where it came.
If pull off your K&N and revit up and what not and watch you'll see the little air flapper moving.