New Svt Engine (Merged)

jarofgreatness

Jul 26, 2005
New Svt Engine PLEASE HELP

about a week ago my poor 01 SVT cobra spun a bearing :damnit: . the engine was diagnosed terminal, but a ray of shining light was the extended warranty. to make a long and painful story short, they will most likely be giving me a rebuilt svt crate engine with a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty to swap out. that one is the free option... or for $2,000 i can have the old one machined and rebuilt so all the VIN numbers match for future collecters value. i am looking for opinions on what i should do. also any cheap mods i can have my mechanic do while he has the engine pulled?

• Sponsors (?)

thats the other thought, if i get the free engine, then i can sell it for a little more because it is a brand new engine. if i were to sell it it would be around 22,000. but i would rather not sell it, i love the car.

All Cobra's come stock with a windage tray BTW...

I'd just opt for the crate replacement...Matchin VIN's on cars is a thing of the past...these cars really aren't collectors items in my opinion since there were so many made...maybe in 30 years or so they might be collectable, but I seriously doubt the stock motor would make it that far anyways...

jarofgreatness said:
thats the other thought, if i get the free engine, then i can sell it for a little more because it is a brand new engine. if i were to sell it it would be around 22,000. but i would rather not sell it, i love the car.
no way you will get that for an 01 cobra

I would personally have it rebuilt with forged internals if you plan on keeping it, if not put the reman motor in it. Also like missouri_guy197 said matching vins is long over. Ford has not done the matching vin with the engine block in a long time.

interesting proposition from a mechanic

my car is a 2001 cobra convertible. my engine recently spun a bearing. after moping around for a week i found out that the warranty company will be giving me an SVT rebuilt crate long block. my mechanic told me as long as he had the engine pulled out, he would waive all labor charges that would normally apply to putting the car togather if i wanted to swap out parts. the obvious is the clutch, that is being replaced. i am thinking i want a cat back put my onto the car while it is apart. i have heard that there are little gains on new headers, so i think i will leave those stock. i was looking for opinions on what you guys would do with about $1000 to kill on parts (again, no labor) to destock my stang. im looking for things that are ideal with a pulled motor. if i do a cat back, any opinions on quality. i am looking for a deep smooth sound when i am done, not too loud, but still enough for people to know i have power. i also want one that does not sacrifice flow. thanks

*EDIT* Since you decided to make a 2nd thread basically dealing with the same subject as your first I decided to merge the two threads together.

U.M.

Get the crate engine for free and pay them for the engine core so you can keep it. Then start a engine build-up using the original engine. Sean Hyland performance is a good place to start for parts/info on DOHC build-ups.

calgarycobra said:
Get the crate engine for free and pay them for the engine core so you can keep it. Then start a engine build-up using the original engine. Sean Hyland performance is a good place to start for parts/info on DOHC build-ups.
There's far better places than Sean Hyland to build an engine unless you want to break the bank...they mega pricey...