New Track Times!!!!

go-stang5.0

Jan 27, 2003
Glenview,Il
Hey guyz, finally got to the track again. Heres the setup DSS 331, AFR 185's, Comp Cams Extereme Energy .544 lift on both lobes 218 intake 224 exhaust duration at .050 and an edelbrock performer rpm II intake. Ran a best time of 13.372 @104.65 w/ a 2.069 60'. This is on street tires (kumho supra 712's 255/40/17 all around on stock tire pressure) and no stuff removed from the car.
Note: Last best was a 13.7 @ 109 w/ 2.3 60'with an edelbrock performer 5.0 manifold (this is the only difference).

Oh and I'm running stock cpu and never dynoed so I dont know exactly where I make max power or what it is for that matter.

The times got better w/ the better 60 ft time but doesnt the trap speed seem kinda low with that setup?

Guyz have any suggestions on where to shift or anything else I may be doing wrong. Oh on the performer 5.0 I shifted at 5.5k and on the rpmII I shifted at 6k rpms.

Any suggestions or criticsm would be helpful. Hopefully I can get everyones advice and get to the track one more tiome before school starts.

• Sponsors (?)

You need a new cam. Thats a nice OTS cam for a 302. Is that the comp xe270? If so, I believe its .544" lkift with a 1.7 rocker.

Whats your fuel system like? Hows the tune? A custom grind cam would wake that thing up, I personally feel the cam is too small.

You need to get your car on a dyno to figure out what's going on with the A/F and powerband. You're way down on power...there's no reason you shouldn't be trapping at least 110mph even on a bad night.

I went with this cam cuz I gotta pass emissions. Even though its already beyond emissions legal its close enough that I think I can get by. And yes its .544 lift w/ a 1.7 rr. Maybe my fuel pressure is too high, it smells rich on startup but as the cats get hot it goes away, probably cuz there burning it off. You guyz thing 43 psi is abit much with 24 #ers and this setup?

And 94DreamGt are you running a stock cpu? Or are you using a chip or tuning device?

go-stang5.0 said:
And 94DreamGt are you running a stock cpu? Or are you using a chip or tuning device?

Yup...100% stock EEC. No chip, no tuning device, nothing.

I have messed around with it enough that I can get it to drive pretty decently with respect to everday drivability. That being said, I think my next big purchase with probably be a TwEECer just because I want to have control over certain things and parameters with the computer, not because I need it. Certain people think you "need" a chip or tuning device once you go H/C/I and the truth is you don't. It can help, but is not needed. My cam is fairly large with duration in the 220's and lift over .550' too.

I think with a better tune though, I could eek out a little more power as well.

everyone says bigger cam but how the heck would I pass the sniffer then?!!!!!
Also, I found a bad ground on my ignition box (gotta clean it up), cuz the car died on me twice and I spent half an hour trying to get it started each time in the last two days. I'm pretty sure thats what my dying is. Anyways If it is indeed my ignition box ground I'm sure that had something to do with my track times too. A bad ground can mess with timing right? And it could definately cause hesitation. I think I'm gonna fiddle with fuel pressure and clean up all my ignition stuff and go back to the track one more time before school starts. I dont really care about my times but I hope I can trap at least 110 cuz I should be at that or higher.

Oh and DreamGT i asked about the cpu cuz I spoke to JMS and they said I should I should pick up between 15 and 20 rwhp with their chip so it sounded mighty inviting. I was just wondering if your rwhp #'s were with some sort of tuning device or not for my own reference.

In your situation, a gain 15-20rwhp gain is definately possible.

But I would get a dyno tune. Then you could maximize your gains.

Back to the topic. Any bad connection will cause problems, as you very well know.

You aren't running a .700 lift cam with a 298 duration. That would make things impossible to pass emmisions.

But if you get a cam that is better suited for your motor, and get a dyno tune, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't pass emmisions with flying colors.

To pass emmisions, you need to maintain a 14.7 a/f ratio, and your cats need to work effeciently. Any devience from this will cause problems.
Scott

I think I pretty much found the problem!

So I go to fiddle with the tuning on the car today and after I clean the ground I decide to double check my timing, considering I just swapped intake manifolds two weeks ago and hevent checked the timing after removing/installing the distributor :bang: . And it turns out that I dropped it in a little off from the mark I made. I was running the car for the last two weeks with the timing at 2 deg. BTDC. Which is about 10 deg. retarded from where I want it to be. I know that problem cost several MPH in the traps easily. But can anyone guess roughly how much hp that cost me? I'm just curious.

Also, snoozer I was shifting at 6k (on the stock tach) and its a manual. Oh and what are the specs on the xe 274 and 282, I will probably get called for the sniffer soon since its been about two years. So well see how I do and then I'll decide if a bigger cam would be ok.

10 degrees retard might be your problem.... hahaha

nice find

the specs on the cam... i forget but they are on comps site

i just know all the sn95s around here with 347s run them with great! success

all in the 11s

I'll try and get to the track again sometime in the next two weeks. But yea the car feels a lot faster now. Well see how it goes next time. I'd love to get a 12 sec pass in in complete street trim. I think its possible if the motor runs ok. And hopefully I can get my MM panhard bar installed before then. I hear that sucker can help 60 ft times a bit.

94DreamGT said:
Yup...100% stock EEC. No chip, no tuning device, nothing.

Certain people think you "need" a chip or tuning device once you go H/C/I and the truth is you don't. It can help, but is not needed. My cam is fairly large with duration in the 220's and lift over .550' too.

I think with a better tune though, I could eek out a little more power as well.
I think im in the same boat as you. And holy crap you can run .550 lift with the stock bottom end? I had no idea

WhiteDevil said:
I think im in the same boat as you. And holy crap you can run .550 lift with the stock bottom end? I had no idea

Lift numbers are overrated...there are so many other apsects of cam design that go into how it performs crucial to its success than just lift. Duration is vital...as well as opening and closing timing events etc...

Pure Street cars are limited to .500 lift cams if that tells you anything...those maniacs are running mid 10's @ 125+mph NA!!!

My cam does have high lift, yet duration isn't too long. This is usually common in FTI cam's....Ed likes high lift with short duration...this is what contributes to the steep ramp rates of his cams which you always hear about.

BTW...GTJake and I have almost the exact same cam specs if you're interested. Clearance was close with the stock bottom-end, but there was room.

http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/drivers/autoemissions.html#exempt

go th toe emissions place with sliccks and a nitrous bottle in your car... tell em its a race car. they give u a form for an exemption, yuou fill it out, then go get a bigger cam and open the sucker up. cops dont check emission information if u get pulled over so they will never know, just carry the exemption letter in the car. works great lol.