no spark-good coil 95 cobra

wildmandave

Sep 15, 2005
largo,FL
My coil is getting power but making no spark.Could it be the TFI module? I pulled the coil and put it in another car and it started right up.Please help me! :bang: :bang:also see other thread in svt tech forum for more info!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

wildmandave said:
My coil is getting power but making no spark.Could it be the TFI module? I pulled the coil and put it in another car and it started right up.Please help me! :bang: :bang:

You can take the TFI to murrays or autozone and they can test it. I would put it on your car and pull the spark plug wire and test for spark at the dizzy and at the spark plugs. Just gotta start doing the simple/easy/free tests to eliminate some things because there are several that could cause it. :(

nmcgrawj said:
You can take the TFI to murrays or autozone and they can test it. I would put it on your car and pull the spark plug wire and test for spark at the dizzy and at the spark plugs. Just gotta start doing the simple/easy/free tests to eliminate some things because there are several that could cause it. :(
Dude its already on the car the coil is not throwing spark. I tested the coil on my neighbors bronco and it worked fine but not on my car.

wildmandave said:
Dude its already on the car the coil is not throwing spark. I tested the coil on my neighbors bronco and it worked fine but not on my car.

Alright. Im just telling you...these problems can give major headaches. It takes 2 minutes to test it on your car for spark...not whether it starts the car or not. If you test it...then u know FOR SURE that there is no spark coming out of the coil on your car. But do what you like...its your car.

nmcgrawj said:
Alright. Im just telling you...these problems can give major headaches. It takes 2 minutes to test it on your car for spark...not whether it starts the car or not. If you test it...then u know FOR SURE that there is no spark coming out of the coil on your car. But do what you like...its your car.
Question: how am I going to get spark at the distributor and spark plugs if theres no spark at the coil? Just so you know I have a remote mounted TFI on the passenger fenderwell. And I cant find anyone who tests TFI modules so far.

wildmandave said:
Question: how am I going to get spark at the distributor and spark plugs if theres no spark at the coil? Just so you know I have a remote mounted TFI on the passenger fenderwell. And I cant find anyone who tests TFI modules so far.

Man...you are making this MUCH harder than it is. All im saying is that you COULD have spark....but it could be too weak to start the car. Where as on your friends car, it wasnt too weak. Its a small chance but something you should double check especially since its so easy. If you actually test the part on your car and there is no spark coming out than GREAT. But i dont necessarily consider putting the part on another car as testing YOUR car. You want to eliminate any and ALL problems with a problem like this.

All 94-95s have remote mounted TFI's. Do you not have any part stores around you? Murrays, autozone, maybe even pepboys or another chain store should be able to test them. If not, try to find a buddy who has one you can try. Just trying to help you not to throw money at this thing to fix it cause that always sucks :owned:

First off, it is absolutely pointless to have the TFI module tested, it will ALWAYS test good!

Second, your distributor is most likely the cause. Not the actual dizzy perse', but the pickup coil inside. These cars are notorious for the pickup coils failing. Usually when they go, you can open your dizzy cap and see pieces of it laying in the bottom.

If you are mechanically enclined, you can remove the dizzy and replace it yourself, it has to come completely apart though. DO NOT buy the part from Advanced or Autozone, they will sell you one for 87-93 Stangs even though you request the 94/95 unit. Get it from Napa or Carquest, it's only about 20.00 or cheaper..

This has been about 95% of people's problems describing the same symtoms you're having. You can also buy a new distributor, which will last you a long time and have all new parts in it already. Your choice... let us know if this fixes it... Remote mounted TFI modules fail alot less than their Dizzy mounted counteryparts.

-Ken

nmcgrawj said:
I have never heard this...care to explain on such a claim?

The TFI Module problem was mostly notorious on the fox bodied Mustangs. This was due to the heat abuse they endured being bolted to the dizzy. The problem was, usually the module would fail when it was at operating temps. By the time you take it off and run it into the parts store, it's cooled down and would work anyway. Their little tester is useless for coils and tfi modules.

I've had quite a few fox Mustangs and on almost every one of them, the TFI Module would cause the car to stall and not start for 30 minutes or so. I would take the module in and they would say "Oh, it's fine, no need to replace it!" I ended up replacing this part and that part with no change, then under my own intuition, I replace the TFI module and viola!! Car is back to normal!! Would they refund me for the useless parts I bought?? Heck no!! You install them, you BOUGHT them!!

Now on an SN95, you don't see them fail as often (not saying they won't) But his car isn't getting spark even when cold, not a common symptom of a TFI module. I would almost bet money it's his distributor!!

Here, check this out: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=692430

-Ken

miley_stang said:
The TFI Module problem was mostly notorious on the fox bodied Mustangs. This was due to the heat abuse they endured being bolted to the dizzy. The problem was, usually the module would fail when it was at operating temps. By the time you take it off and run it into the parts store, it's cooled down and would work anyway. Their little tester is useless for coils and tfi modules.

I've had quite a few fox Mustangs and on almost every one of them, the TFI Module would cause the car to stall and not start for 30 minutes or so. I would take the module in and they would say "Oh, it's fine, no need to replace it!" I ended up replacing this part and that part with no change, then under my own intuition, I replace the TFI module and viola!! Car is back to normal!! Would they refund me for the useless parts I bought?? Heck no!! You install them, you BOUGHT them!!

Now on an SN95, you don't see them fail as often (not saying they won't) But his car isn't getting spark even when cold, not a common symptom of a TFI module. I would almost bet money it's his distributor!!

Here, check this out: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=692430

-Ken

Ahhhh that makes sense. I was gonna say...i never had a TFI go bad on me. Just wanted to here a little bit more behind the statement. Thanks for the input! :cheers:

miley_stang said:
First off, it is absolutely pointless to have the TFI module tested, it will ALWAYS test good!

Second, your distributor is most likely the cause. Not the actual dizzy perse', but the pickup coil inside. These cars are notorious for the pickup coils failing. Usually when they go, you can open your dizzy cap and see pieces of it laying in the bottom.

If you are mechanically enclined, you can remove the dizzy and replace it yourself, it has to come completely apart though. DO NOT buy the part from Advanced or Autozone, they will sell you one for 87-93 Stangs even though you request the 94/95 unit. Get it from Napa or Carquest, it's only about 20.00 or cheaper..

This has been about 95% of people's problems describing the same symtoms you're having. You can also buy a new distributor, which will last you a long time and have all new parts in it already. Your choice... let us know if this fixes it... Remote mounted TFI modules fail alot less than their Dizzy mounted counteryparts.

-Ken
I have a brand new MSD pro billet in the car already and it only ran for about 30 minutes before I shut it off to check things out(new engine) then it wouldn't start again.

MSD Dizzys are even worse than the stock ones!! I've heard horror stories about buying MSD units and they go bad right after install or later. Apparently a wire gets pinched during assembly that makes them fail. Why don't you reinstall the factory unit and see what happens!

miley_stang said:
seems to me if that was the last MOD you did BEFORE this problem arose, then it must be the culprit!!
Installed all new parts at the same time this has been a project over the last 2-3 years. I bought the car as a basket case (no motor,no trans.,blown diff.,good body & interior). the only part on the ignition I reused was the TFI module.