Noisy power steering. how to quieten it?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
i searched but i couldnt find anything.

my 00 GT has the infamous power steering whine - and its driving me nuts. my 95 was whisper quiet and so is my 98 explorer. not the case with my mustang. i bought some lucas power steering conditioner but havent added it yet. also bought a suction tool to pull the existing fluid out to be replaced by the lucas. wanted to ask you guys before i actually did anything.

thanks

edit : only seems to make the noise when turning the wheel

• Sponsors (?)

after digging a little deeper i did stumble on a few threads. there were several ppl commenting on how after a pump replacement, they noise would still be there :nonono:

i'd hate to spend the money on a pump without trying some less pricey alternatives. has the lucas additive worked for anyone?

Used pumps from a junkyard will likely whine as much as what you have. The whine is a precursor to failure. Best bet is to replace it before it fails, or bypass it with a shorter belt if you want to be a cheapskate.

awful lot of peeps have the ford whine and their pump never fails

just looking for options to correct or help the noise i have now with the existing pump

some years back a buddy showed me a good tip , he drains his rack & pinnion fluid once a season its messy but worth it ...you take out one line at the rack with the car jacked up jack stands under the frame , motor off you turn the steering wheel gentlly full left to right & all the fluid burp out the fluid in the rack ...you can use a vacume brake bleeder or turkey baster to empty the power steering pump , refill the pump spin the motor but dont start the engine ! check the level untill full ..... power steering fluid breaks down from heat & the rack & pump will get alot of extra life from a once a year drain ! auto tranny every 30,000 miles will also help .... if your pump is already making noise its probably too late but for others remember this tip .....PS look at the power steering you have drained & you will not only see but smell that its burned & dirty ......