notch?

• Sponsors (?)

rhumbline said:
The reduction in glass area probably gives some nominal reduction in weight, though probably no more than on the order of 10-20lbs or so. As for stiffness, that is far more influenced by the engineering quality that goes into either configuration rather than inherent benefits.

Any inherent difference between notchbacks and fastbacks (non-hatchback) are probably non-existant while hatchbacks are trickier to design to a said stiffness at a given weight, though it can be done with good engineering and perhaps strut tower braces as on, say, the 350Z, though that of course obviates some of the practical benefits of a hatchback.

Regardless, a notchback's upright design simply says staid "sedan" to me versus the fastback's far sleeker profile that has a far stronger performance personna to me.

Look at the Z06 Vette coupe versus the standard version... there must be a significant difference, more than 20 pounds, to go to all that trouble.

63_Fairlane said:
Look at the Z06 Vette coupe versus the standard version... there must be a significant difference, more than 20 pounds, to go to all that trouble.
That had far more to due with chassis stiffness that the closed roof Vette coupe has over the open roof fastback, which is more peculiar to the Vette's chassis design.

You know, as the owner of a 1993 Notch...I find it humorous that many of you are piling on the notch as ugly...I will also find it humours as all you will ever see is a good look at the ugly ass of just about any notch you see in your 3700 lb fastback as it leaves you behind. :lol:

Hax