Now for engine combos, What suggestions?

77CobraResto

Jan 31, 2004
Now that my C4 question is answered. I have two engines. The first seems to be a crate short block that came with the car. It's numbers say it's a '74 302 block but it has one different piston than the others. It seems to have been built at least twice and still shows some hone marks on the cylinders from the last build. The pistons are slightly dished and the engine had '68 302 4V heads and '68 factory 4V intake mounted on it. They appear to be port matched with the intake and have larger rocker studs than my '70 351 Windsor heads. The exhaust ports are are expertly ported as well. I believe the combustion chambers are 53cc on the 302 heads. I don't know what the cc's are on the 351 heads but they are larger. I know the 351 valves are larger too. What heads would be best? The 351 heads aren't ported and will drop the compression a little.
Also, I have access to an '86 truck 5.0. I think it's rated at 200 HP but it may not be the same as in a Mustang of that year. Are the cams identical to the '86 Fox body Mustang? Would the older heads bring the compression up too high? Does it have forged flat top pistons? I think it would be easier to hit the 300 HP mark with this engine, the older heads and intake and a set of the standard hedman headers. I could be wrong. Thanks for the help. You guys are great. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)