Numbers matching ?

66er

Aug 22, 2009
New to the Mustang world. I'm sure this has been asked before. Where are the numbers on a 289 that would match the VIN? I assume that's how to see if you have a numbers match car, right? Oh, I have a "C" code 66 coupe.

• Sponsors (?)

New to the Mustang world. I'm sure this has been asked before. Where are the numbers on a 289 that would match the VIN? I assume that's how to see if you have a numbers match car, right? Oh, I have a "C" code 66 coupe.

On a 1966, there would be none. The best you can do is find the manufacture date of the various engine items. If they predate the vehicle build by a little bit, then it is possible, those parts came with the car from the factory.

Where would the date codes be on the block?

The numbers are above and sort of behind the starter. My engine happens to be out of my car and under a tarp right now so I went out in the rain to confirm for you. The starter is also off my engine, so I can't confirm if a dental mirror will help you out with the starter installed. A '66 car should have a block number with C4 or possibly C5 as the starting digits of the serial number. "C" is for 1960's (196X) the next number replaces the "X" for the final digit in the year.

Hope this helps you. By the way, matching number corallation in the Mustangs didn't start untill 1967 if I recall correctly. I am sure somebody will interject if I am mistaken.

The only early (65/66) cars that had vin's stamped on the engine and transmission were the K code cars and this applied to most but not all of these. My 65 K code does have the vin stamped on both the engine and tranny.

Numbers Matching

The term "numbers matching" is a product of the Chevy world.
It does not apply to early Mustangs. The date code on your block would need to be earlier than your VIN by a few weeks (or maybe even months) to be accurate for a certain vehicle.