Observations on clutch engagement height per qudarant used

blk92stangg

Jan 30, 2004
Hawaii
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but after going from a quick release quadrant to a upr 3 pick up one, I found out a few interesting things:

With the clutch cable adjusted to no slack/preloaded, the engagement of the quick release(QR) was almost at the top of the clutch pedal. The travel for the clutch to engage/disengage seemed to be 1-2 inches at most.

The engagement of the 3 pickup quadrant felt like it was at midpoint of the clutch, and the travel for clutch engagement/disengagement seemed to increase to maybe 3-4 inches, and I had to push the clutch much further towards the bottom to get clean gear shifts.

When talking about proper clutch engagment points, it seems the type of quadrant is paramount, whether it be a stock, QR, or other steeda/UPR clones. If nothing else, my opinion that on a properly adjust clutch, the engagement points are dictated by quadrant, and to a lesser extent, type of pressure plate and clutch ONLY, has been strengthened. (of course if you keep the the cable loose and let the pedal flop around, the engagement point of your clutch would be anyone's guess :D )

Differing views would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)