odometer and trip odometer quit working

telmd

Jan 14, 2004
Jville, FL
Wondering how I go about trouble shooting what might be wrong. Purchased vehicle about two weeks ago. '94 with 93972 on the dash. Odometer had been working fine up until couple of days ago when I changed rear pads. Every since neither odometer or trip odometer has worked not sure if brake job has something do do with it or not. Vehicle is very clean inside/out so miles seem to much wear on the vehicle. Also curious if those can be disconnected to not track mileage...

FORGOT to mention that the speedo works fine..

• Sponsors (?)

We've got a '97 Expedition that has a tempermental odo/trip odo and my '91 Marquis just stopped one day for no apparent reason. I took the cluster apart on the Marquis, and the odo drive motors were working, but the driven gears had several teeth missing. As I examined them, several more teeth came off. It appears that the plastic the gears are made of just crumbled from age.

You might check to see if there's a speedo shop in your area, they may have a source for the parts to fix it if that's the case. A law enforcement agency should be able to refer you to a speedo shop in your area.