oil change schedule

J's 67

Founding Member
Nov 27, 2000
Southern Illinois
Regarding my wife's '08 V6, I just read the manual saying interval is 7500miles.
Am I right? I usually use mobil1 every 5000miles.

When should I do the first oil change?
What oil everyone use?

I would appreciate your help.

• Sponsors (?)

Regarding my wife's '08 V6, I just read the manual saying interval is 7500miles.
Am I right? I usually use mobil1 every 5000miles.

When should I do the first oil change?
What oil everyone use?

I used Motorcraft Semi-synthetic for the 1st 35,000+ miles,

been using Castrol Semi-synthetic since the warranty ended,

I shoot for a change every 5K miles, but frequently let in go a bit beyond ...

never worry in the cooler weather / just in the hot, dusty summertime.

ymmv ~

Thank you for the information.
I will do every 5000 miles as usual.
Surprised see there is no dip stick for AT fluid BTW.

I've seen many Fords started burning oil after switching from using Motorcraft conventional (long term) to other brands.
So I'm thinking about switching to Mobil1 from the first oil change.

Any inputs?

I've used mobile1 synthetic for all my oil changes. I change it every 5000-7000 miles. I just went over 35000 the other week and have had no problems.

The small benefits (if any) from spending $5 a quart for Mobil 1 will never pay-off. Motorcraft oil is the best value for the best oil going, anywhere. I even run it in my non-Ford SUV. A good oil filter and good oil changed every 3-7K miles will do far more to extend the life on an engine that you will ever get running a full synthetic. And full synthetics have a higher rate of evaporation than a dino/syn mix, especially Mobil 1.

Don't get confused over carmakers requiring Mobil 1, they get paid huge sums of money to require oil changes with $5 a quart synthetic.

Your car, your money. Do a search on oil tests, you may surprise yourself. In particular I remember a test of Motorcraft oil vs a full synthetic in a fleet of Ford Crown Vics running as taxis in NYC.

:nice:
The small benefits (if any) from spending $5 a quart for Mobil 1 will never pay-off. Motorcraft oil is the best value for the best oil going, anywhere. I even run it in my non-Ford SUV. A good oil filter and good oil changed every 3-7K miles will do far more to extend the life on an engine that you will ever get running a full synthetic. And full synthetics have a higher rate of evaporation than a dino/syn mix, especially Mobil 1.

Don't get confused over carmakers requiring Mobil 1, they get paid huge sums of money to require oil changes with $5 a quart synthetic.

Your car, your money. Do a search on oil tests, you may surprise yourself. In particular I remember a test of Motorcraft oil vs a full synthetic in a fleet of Ford Crown Vics running as taxis in NYC.
:flag: to what he said

I use Amsoil you can go one year or 25K between oil changes I use it in all my cars and my Harley you must use Amsoils filter though, cost is about 56 bucks but remember you only have to do it once a year.
Robert

I use Amsoil you can go one year or 25K between oil changes I use it in all my cars and my Harley you must use Amsoils filter though, cost is about 56 bucks but remember you only have to do it once a year.
Robert

I've heard alot of people using Amsoil for extended lengths of time. I'm not advocating it or disputing it. I don't know enough about it to have an informed decision. It does make sense that the oil doesn't actually break down, but gets contaminated to the point that it's no longer protecting our metal parts. I know alot of people swear by the Amsoil system.

I do know that some synthetics other than Amsoil have a high evaporation rate. I also know the Motorcraft semi-syn has all the certifications automakers require. At $2.50 a quart and $6 for a Motorcraft FL820S I can change the oil myself and sleep at night knowing my engine is protected.

Thank you for all that information.

I am not sure that I can go 25k Amsoil without oil change. It's just me hard headed.
I wonder if Ford would honner the warranty with Amsoil with that interval.

As I mentioned before, I would go with Mobil1 and Motorcraft filter.
I want to go with something available everywhere.

I might go with Motorcraft full synthetic if it's available everywhere.
Anyone got feed back on Motorcraft full synthetic?

Thank you for all that information.

I am not sure that I can go 25k Amsoil without oil change. It's just me hard headed.
I wonder if Ford would honner the warranty with Amsoil with that interval.

As I mentioned before, I would go with Mobil1 and Motorcraft filter.
I want to go with something available everywhere.

I might go with Motorcraft full synthetic if it's available everywhere.
Anyone got feed back on Motorcraft full synthetic?

the 25,000 thing would bug me too. I've heard of guys doing it, but I wouldn't on my own car.

Motorcraft is a synthetic blend, I've never seen a full syn from Motorcraft. But in 20 years I've owned 9 new Fords. I put 276,000 on the 302 in the conversion van, 190,000 on the Triton V10, etc, etc. Always, always had Motorcraft semi-syn oil in the crankcase and a Motorcraft filter. I can't imagine a reason to change.

FWIW, I have always had evaporation issues w/Mobil 1 in my Fords. The govt allows 15% max evaporation, that's alot, too much for me.

I go 3-5,000 miles depending on how hard I'm using the vehicle and my schedule. With 6 kids and 4 athletes I don't always have free time to change the oil. But somewhere in between 3 and 5 grand I change oil. I actually use Motorcraft in all my vehicles, even my import SUV.

Ken04,
Thank you for your input.

They have full synthetic but availability is in question though.
http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15

Off the topic, BTW I hope your import minivan is not a Nissan.

With Mobil1, I don't see any sludge build up on my wifes Honda (traded in for the Stang) and my truck. However, evaporation rate is high as you mentioned, and I've seen it.

From Ken02's input, there are no issues with the Motorcraft synthetic blend.

I know the Motorcraft filter is good, which I've always used on the '67.

I just took a look at the owner's guide, and it's calling for Motorcraft 5W-30 Premium synthetic blend.

My conclusion is to go with the Motorcraft synthetic blend and the Motorcraft filter.
I could finally make up on my mind on this silly "what oil to use" issue.

Thank you everyone.

Ken04,
Thank you for your input.

They have full synthetic but availability is in question though.
http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15

Off the topic, BTW I hope your import minivan is not a Nissan.

With Mobil1, I don't see any sludge build up on my wifes Honda (traded in for the Stang) and my truck. However, evaporation rate is high as you mentioned, and I've seen it.

From Ken02's input, there are no issues with the Motorcraft synthetic blend.

I know the Motorcraft filter is good, which I've always used on the '67.

I just took a look at the owner's guide, and it's calling for Motorcraft 5W-30 Premium synthetic blend.

My conclusion is to go with the Motorcraft synthetic blend and the Motorcraft filter.
I could finally make up on my mind on this silly "what oil to use" issue.

Thank you everyone.

Cool brau, I'll have to look for the full synthetic. Glad I stop by this site once in a while so I can learn something. Thanks for the heads up, I'll defintely have to find out where I can buy Motorcraft full syn, good on ya mate !!

Ford has no choice but to honor your warranty remember they have to prove that the lubrication caused the failure. I have a Toyota Tundra pickup that I drive 200 miles a day so changing every 3K would get awful expensive I ran the Amsoil for 25K and sent a sample to the lab and the oil was still good, the additive package is what breaks down. However short tripping of less than 10 miles or driving in extreme conditions. (less than 10 miles never heats the oil up enough to get rid of condensation) I would change sooner. Amsoil has a guarantee that if you have an oil related failure while using their product they will take care of you but don't get a 250K clapped out motor and expect Amsoil to work miracles. I use it and I am a believer.
Robert