Oil leak question

96cobra4.6

May 13, 2005
Should I continue the quest of using Synthetic oil in my car? I am having oil leak problems. My car has 70K+ miles on it, is it safe to use a regular weight on my car? And also will it cure most of the oil leaks? What kind of oil do you guys use on your 96-98 cobras? Any help in the oil department would be greatly appreciated! Also I have never had a car with synthetic oil, can I just empty the oil then pour in regular? What effects does this have on my vortec sq trim s/c? Was the previous owner using synthetic because it has a supercharger? I know a lot of questions, any answers would be great! thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Where is the oil leaking from? You don't hear of too many oil leak issues with these cars...

BTW, I really don't believe in synthetic oil myself...As long as the oil is changed on a 3k mile interval with dino oil it shouldn't matter...One of the selling points of synth is that it doesn't break down as easily as dino oil does so it last longer thus less oil changes are needed, but on a performance car I wouldn't go that route...I use regular Castrol GTX 5w30 in mine...

well with a car with that many miles, the synthetic may be so thin that it is leaking just because of that, but I dont know if you can just switch to non synthetic at this point. I have heard that once you go synthetic you have to stay that way. but I agree I just use mobil 5w30