Oils and filters

Ok....i've been exploring the world of lubrication here lately....and i've come to determine that Royal purple is prolly the best choice in lubricants. I've been using the oil for a year now, and the results are pretty damn good. My engine runs quite a bit cooler (i added purple ice to the cooling system recenty and noticed an even bigger diff in cooler temps) the rev is smoother, and its more responsive. Now, i hear of ppl putting Castrol Edge on a platform. Im not gonna switch cause im happy with RP, but i'd like to know if anyone has made the switch from RP to Castrol edge, and if it was better or not as good.

2nd off, Oil filters confuse the hell outta me. I've always used Motorcraft filters on my Fords. the oil change before i made the change to RP, i used a mobil 1 filter. Then, when i did the syn switch, i used a motorcraft filter. the 2nd i also used a Motorcraft. Then, O'reilly had an oil change special on royal purple and a K&N oil filter. Now, im a HUGE fan of K&N's air filters, actually i swear by em. But i wasn't sure on how well their oil filters were. i almost went ahead and bought another MC filter and was gonna toss the K&N. I decided against it and put it on. Im impressed as im at 2500 mi on this change and the oil is still really clean, compaired to the Motorcraft on the changes before.

Im an employee of O'reilly, and one of the managers at a diff store has a display set up. He took a wix, a microguard(our house brand made by Purolator) a Motorcraft, an ACdelco, a fram, and a mobil 1 filter, and cut the cases off. If you guys haven't seen the difference in any of these, you need to. the wix, mobil 1, motorcraft, and microguard were the best. ACdelco and fram were the worst. Im telling you....i haven't ever used fram filters, and after seeing that...i wouldn't recomend one to my worst enemy. HORRIBE! On the subject of motorcraft oil filters, i've recently learned that the filter you buy from a Ford Dealership, and the filter u buy from and retail or retail parts store, is a totally diff critter. The filters you buy from the dealer are heavier, better quailty, and filter smaller particles than the ones you buy off a shelf.........how neat is that? neways, what im getting at with this novel (haha) is that im not sure what kind of filter i should use. Many tests have shown that hands down, Wix makes the best filters out there. Im thinking of switching up either to a wix which is supposed to filter down to 12 microns, as to where motorcraft (off the shelf) is around 23, and K&N is around 25. if anyone knows more on the oil filter subject im open. im sure this thread is gonna spark some interesting responses....can't wait to read em!

• Sponsors (?)

I would not put Royal Purple in my lawn mower.

I use 6 quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 and a Motorcraft filter.

I used to run the Motorcraft oil but I get a lot of valve train noise with the 5W-20... So I switched to the full synthetic slightly heavier Mobil and it quieted my head tick down substantially.

Motorcraft 5w-20 and MC filter (from wal-mart)... 89k miles with no issues and 5k mile oil changes. Probably need to do an oil analysis on it though just to see...

Royal Purple in the rear end of my race car only... Valvoline 75w in the tranny, Valvoline VR1 20w-50 in the motor. Fram HP3 racing filter. Most everyone that races with me uses Fram.

I won't ever use FRAM filters again either. Read way to many bad things and all the cars I ran them on had substantial tick from the valve train. I am currently running a K&N filter an 6 quarts of Castrol Edge. This is my first run with this oil as I usually always run 5w30 mobil one synthetic.

Yea, I have a Royal Purple oil filter and full synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30. Car runs a little more free than with the basic oil and after 3500 miles, give or take, its still pretty clean! It would be interesting if people actually logged there every day driving habits, some constants and controls, how long and hard mph, so on and so forth to get some real every day data on these oils and filters!

You'd be in a minority if you felt RP was the best engine lubricant. When you get the point where you're talking high priced shelf oils and "boutique" oils, RP doesn't even really get discussed. Castrol Edge seems to be gaining high praise and the UOA's have looked good.

K&N oil filters have also been getting good reviews. MC, M1, PureOne, and K&N are all nice filters. At least nearly everyone agrees that Frams are crap, but they're at the low price point, so it's a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing for them.

With so many good quality oils available, there's so many combinations that work. Some people liek to stick to the old "3k OCI" principle and some are running synthetics beyond 10k OCI. Add people's choice in weights, and you're looking at a thousand combinations that work.

Just go with what combination you think is best.

Who is having these discussions...and what high priced shelf oils and "boutique" oils are being discussed?

check the link i put in post #7. those guys go crazy into oil analysis, new "virgin" oil and used analysis. basicly they like pensoil an moble 1 syn oils an wix, motorcraft, pulolator filters. they get into using syn oils for 10K+. oh, an they hate most additives.

Who is having these discussions...and what high priced shelf oils and "boutique" oils are being discussed?

Post #7 has the link for the discussion boards. Great, informative site.

The high priced shelf oils that are most being discussed are:
Mobil 1
Castrol Synthetic (German)
Penzoil Platinum
Those are probably the 3 most popular.

Some of the "boutique" oils being discussed are:
Amsoil
Red Line
Schaffer's

Hope that answers your question(s).

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20. The past few times I've used a Motorcraft oil filter. I used a K@N oil filter once, but it cost $11 which I thought was rediculous. At about $3 you can't beat the Motorcraft filter that everyone seems to agree is a good one.

Comparing Filters

Hi Guys, My name is Gary and I am the chief engineer for Fram. I am bummed that we get a bad rap based simply on cutting the filter open. There are a lot of good filters out there, and they all may look a little different inside, but it’s really important to compare how well they stop dirt. That’s their main purpose, and it’s the quality of the filter media that really matters. It would be like looking at a glass of cheapo oil next to a glass of synthetic oil. It’s sure hard to see any difference, but the ingredients are a heck of lot different. Check out the filter boxes and websites and look for the performance. It should give results using the International Test Standard (ISO) for efficiency at a micron (particle) size. I often see filters being called this or that micron. That’s not enough. The efficiency must be tagged along with the micron size. Every Fram filter has the information right on the box and we’ve got good, better, and best options.

Hopefully this tidbit of info helps when comparing filters. If you’ve got specific questions, ask them, because I’ll check back later and will be happy to provide answers.

Gary

Well the conventional wisdom on all the car forums I have been on is that Fram oil filters suck. My main problem with them is the lack of a drain back valve.

Although I think its great that a Fram engineer cares (assuming you even are one) y'all would have to pretty much make a gold plated filter to make up for the years of craptacular filters.

Valvoline 5w30 syn and Valvoline filter (that's what the shop carries)

I have used the Fram X2 (aka Extended Gaurd) on my Jeep for a 7000 mile oil change and that held up well. The X2 has a beefier filter element than the Mobil 1 but will forever be tainted by the Fram name.