Our Oil Situation

• Sponsors (?)

We are getting miss directed. The beast way to get past this is to become self sustainable. We have been sold out. By growing food and making my own fuel I was able to quit my job. My only bills are my home and credit cards. Soon I will pay off my home.

^ wtf quit ur job and make ur own fuel??? do explain

Growing food saves me 300 a month. It cost me 1.20 a gallon to make ethanol. Fuel is 3.90 a gallon hear, so a save 3.70 a gallon. I can also sell my ethanol at the track. Ethanol is a very nice fuel because you can run high compression and boost. My last engine was 13:1 with 12lbs of boost. I can make 500 in a week selling fuel. My part time ebay selling covers the rest of my needs.

No we don't need to dril and refine. we need to get off the oil dependency..

Democrats and Republicans are corrupt and are really one.. McCain is just like bush and will distroy this country even more,.

No we don't need to dril and refine. we need to get off the oil dependency..

Democrats and Republicans are corrupt and are really one.. McCain is just like bush and will distroy this country even more,.

Right now we have no technology that can even bring us close to doing that. All forms of mass production ethanol are energy sinks. You end up using more oil during the production of the ethanol than oil you save from use of the ethanol. There is one mainstream plug-in that could possibly hit the market within 5 years (Chevy Volt), and that isn't even a practical vehicle for most people. On top of that, plug-in vehicles require electricity which must be generated somehow. While very little would be directly from oil, the majority will be from coal and cause a significantly larger amount of pollution, thereby making environmentalists unhappy.

We need an interim solution to reducing our oil dependancy. Since we can't reduce worldwide demand, we need to increase our supply to drive down (or more likely level off) prices.

Let's drill, destroy the environment, use up all the oil there is anywhere, not explore any alternatives and create a better world by doing so. Is that right?
We need to wake up people. This is the only world we have and we need to take care of it, not follow Bush and others likely all the way to the destruction of our planet. Bush is getting rich and can afford protective suits, oxygen, etc. we will all someday need if we don't change our ways. Are you that rich?
Let's look for a better way and quit sucking oil. The problem is the rapidly changing prices. And greedy people are to blame for that. The Saudis announce production is going to increase and the price goes up. I'm willing to bet if they had announced cuts in production the price would not have gone down. It's greedy people causing the rapid increase in prices, nothing else. But we have to search for alternative fuels, not drilling anywhere we can stick a drill. The planet will only last if we take care of it. The oil is not going to last no matter what we do.

I am a student at Middle Tennessee State University. We have had a professor for the past 30 years working on alternative fuel vehicles. He has a bidiesel 74 corvette, a ethanol 75 corvette, a hydrogen power car that at one time held the land speed record for a hydrogen car, ran a motor for 15 seconds on water, and now he has a car that he is almost finished testing that accomplishes his dream; a car that runs on sun and water. We have a solar panel that is hooked into the power grid so not only are we generating enough power to run our shop but making money too. The solar panel powers a machine to extract hydrogen as well as charge the car itself by a plug in outside the shop. The car is then fueled by hydrogen. There you go, a car that is powered by NO OIL. The car has enough range for the typical American to go to work, maybe a few errands, then home.

What about the trucking industry? No problem. Take around 10% of New Mexico (which is mostly useless desert anyway) and turn it into greenhouses. The crop you grow in these greenhouses is basically pond algae. This can then be refined to make a biodiesel. This 10% can generate enough fuel in a year to supply trucking industry and then some.

OK, so if we do this the demand for OIL will go down and thus cause a drop in gas prices (basic business theory). I would think that this could be done pretty quick. I mean we built Oak Ridge, TN in less than a year to research and build the atom bomb. Drilling for more oil is only a quick fix. We will sooner or later end right back to square one. I'm not saying don't drill but I would be more for it if we drilled to help fund and move the country towards energy independence.

The doomsday stories about running out of "finite resources" (including those coming from today's environmentalists) are endless: all of them ignore the causal connection between reason and production. For example, in 1908 the U.S. Geological Survey that the maximum future supply of crude oil in the U.S. was 22.5 billion barrels; eighty seven years' worth of consumption later, there were over 22 billion barrels just in unused, proven reserves. In 1914 the U.S. Bureau of Mines said that future American production of oil could total no more than 5.7 billion barrels; in the following eighty years, over 160 billion barrels were produced. In 1939 the Department of the Interior forecast that our oil supplies would last only another 13 years; some thirty years later, the rate of production alone had almost tripled.
Only a view of production as a mere mechanical motion would make someone believe that what does not exist today will not come into existence tomorrow. That is an unwarranted conclusion, even assuming that the level of knowledge and technology remains the same. It doubly unwarranted given that one cannot know what cognitive advances will be made tomorrow, or what new developments those advances will make feasible on the day after tomorrow.

from The Philisophy of Privation by Peter Schwartz

Yeah I don't believe that supply and production are the root of the current BS situation that we're seeing. We seriously need to take a look at WTF is going on on Wall Street and in foreign markets around oil futures.

These guys are driving the price up unchecked and it's getting way out of hand.

9.5 years ago I moved to the oil patch here in Calgary. When I moved here everyone was all happy because oil hit $17 a barrel and it was mad money dayz all over the place with all kinds of spending and stuff.

Fast forward 9.5 years and what are we at $140? Seriously.... What the F happened to our supply in 9.5 years? All we've done in Alberta is find and generate more oil due to the oilsands. What's even more ridiculous is we pipe it all to the US or send it overseas for wholesale and then buy back oil from other countries including the US and Nigeria at retail!

OK, people have made valid points here. SOMEWHAT. Yes, eventually we will need to come up with an alternative fuel sorce because EVENTUALLY oil will become too expensive for the average consumer. What we must remember, however, is that the manufacturing cycle for vehicles takes a LONG time to switch anything to mass production and mainstream. Even if we instantly had the technology for say a mass production hydrogen car, they wouldn't make it to production for about 5 years, let alone become a common occurance for at least 10 years. Instituting the infrastructure is a WHOLE different ballgame. Why would you buy a hydrogen car if you can't buy the fuel? And, why would you build a hydrogen fueling station if there are no hydrogen vehicles to fuel? See part of the predicament?

RFMustangGT, your theory is correct. If everyone moved to homegrown biodiesel or something like that, it would drop oil demand and therefore prices. The interesting part though, is once oil becomes cheap enough, the consumer sees no benefit to using alternative fuels and will switch back to oil. Any quick change won't have the type of impact you'd imagine.

Stan, uh what are you talking about? Protective suits? Are you really trying to be serious? You realize China produces more emissions and greenhouse gasses than the United States. When you look at us compared to the entire world, we have a decent, but not huge, impact on emissions. As stated earlier, you are correct: the problem is rapidly changing fuel prices. Slow changes self-correct themselves. Few, however, can cope with a 25% increase in a daily staple over the course of a year. It is not so much greedy people as you state. Saudi's are the only OPEC country that has any significant capacity left. Even if they release ALL oil to the United States, it would only increase OUR supply by 2%. It is simply a combination of the weak dollar and the increased demand for oil by developing nations such as China and India.

Obama WILL make gas prices increase no matter what he tries to tell you. I do not like any of the presidential candidates this term, so I'm not trying to take sides. Obama wants to hit the oil companies with windfall profit taxes. Oil copmanies aren't making any larger of a profit margin (and in many cases a lower profit margin) than most industries. This is not an unreasonable practice, and anything less would be a stupid business practice. Why would the oil companies want to just give away their profit in taxes? As with all taxes, they will merely pass along the windfall profits tax to the consumer and maintain their profit margin.

Let's drill, destroy the environment, use up all the oil there is anywhere, not explore any alternatives and create a better world by doing so. Is that right?
We need to wake up people. This is the only world we have and we need to take care of it, not follow Bush and others likely all the way to the destruction of our planet. Bush is getting rich and can afford protective suits, oxygen, etc. we will all someday need if we don't change our ways. Are you that rich?
Let's look for a better way and quit sucking oil. The problem is the rapidly changing prices. And greedy people are to blame for that. The Saudis announce production is going to increase and the price goes up. I'm willing to bet if they had announced cuts in production the price would not have gone down. It's greedy people causing the rapid increase in prices, nothing else. But we have to search for alternative fuels, not drilling anywhere we can stick a drill. The planet will only last if we take care of it. The oil is not going to last no matter what we do.

My God man, are you sold out the GREEN Mofia or what :Zip2:

Stanmckinney get a life dude. Go check out the Alaska pipeline and see how the Caribou love it. Katrina & Rita plowed through the Gulf and wiped out many oil platforms. Guess what, no oil spills or leaks to speak of. We need to drill now and in the mean time work to develop alt. fuel technology that us average Joe's can afford.