Paint On The Stang!!

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
It finally happened. I got part of my mustang painted. It just the body itself and it's just the basecoat that's on it now, but hey that's a huge step in the right direction. What's even better is that it doesn't look like total crap even though me and my roommate did all the work.

I did the body work and my roommate sprayed it. It took him a few minutes to get a handle on how to shoot the base coat, so I have a few runs to sand out tomorrow night, but that's fine. Wow my stangs got paint on it. Well part of it anyway. I discovered a scratch on the trunk and I want to wet sand the mirrors one more time before they get sprayed, but it's awesome, part of the stang's got paint on it.:)

I'll post pictures when I get home from work tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry I couldn't find the camera last night. My wife had it uploading pictures to email folks about the miracle, me having actually paint on my car.

Car%20Paint.jpg

I was so tired. I don't know how I was able to smile so big.

Dang it's raining today. No more painting for me till maybe monday. That's okay, we are going out of town this weekend anyway.

I'm planing on doing the next coat on monday when they are forecasting a break in the wet stuff.

CRAAAPPPP!!!!

I bumped into my stang when I was moving stuff around today and took a little spot out of my clearcoat.

I sprayed on another layer of clear and the spot was only about this big %%, but I'll be damed if I can't still see it from 50 feet away.

I might get nuts and sand the clear off, respray a little base to blind the messed up part and reclear it tomorrow. Then again that'd be a spit load of work, and I might just make it worse.

Dang weather. If it was warmer the clear would be a lot harder by now. What happened to global warming?

Yeah it's gone to far for a simple fix like that.

I'd have to sand off the clear, sand the base/color coat, mask most of the panel off, respray base where I sanded, respray clear, and live with the result.

Or I could just live with how it is now.

Fix it now... if you are anything like me, your mistake will catch your eye every time you walk by.

Two weeks after getting my car painted, I took the power steering pump out for the third time as I was adjusting the hoses; the fender apron had slipped about half an inch and I dropped the pump directly on the unprotected portion of the fender. Took me a year and a half to fix it and the whole time my eye was always drawn to that half inch scractch on top of my fender.

Best of luck and a great job so far!

Scott

Nice job, is that an acapulco blue metallic? Mine is :) I couldn't believe my eyes when it was finally in paint either! I saw it in bare metal & cracking baby blue and black spraypaint and red spraypaint and bondo and...well yea for years and now is beautiful!

Congrats, it's always fun to paint your car yourself isn't it. Don't sweat about the little nick, just sand it down and repaint it, you've waited how long anyways, whats another day? Like someone before me said, you'll be so much happier 6 months from now if you just break down and fix it now.

boatillo said:
Nice job, is that an acapulco blue metallic? Mine is :) I couldn't believe my eyes when it was finally in paint either! I saw it in bare metal & cracking baby blue and black spraypaint and red spraypaint and bondo and...well yea for years and now is beautiful!

Thanks.
Yeah the car looks great now compared to the way it looked when it was spotted in different shades of grey, red, and black primer. I had to redo all the bondoing I'd done over the last three years on the stang to make sure there wasn't no rust under the bondo and primer.

I think I'm going to leave that spot alone. I'm a little leery of doing a spot repair, I don't wanna screw up anything and I'd have to do a large area of the car to ensure the metal flake paint blends/flows properly across the panel.