Painted!

enferno

Jun 20, 2006
before/after pics of my paintjob!

it had been painted 4 times. origional color was silver.

then was painted mopar orange, teal, then orange-red.

Mind you, this is a budget project in all aspects. I'm only 18 and don't have a whole lot of income ($8/hour, and i only work 16 hours a week, plus i have college classes MWF. I bought the car for $3800 in march. I replaced 3/4 of the floor pans, i cut out and welded in new cowl sections, replaced all body panels from the windshield forward, as well as the deck lid. i've now rebuilt the motor, transmission, etc. and i'm waiting to put those in. currently working on weatherstripping/windows to seal it up before the rain comes. i've only put it about $1500 on parts thus far, and about a bajillion hours. I plan on rebuilding front/rear suspension, thus lowering it about an inch or so. after it's put together and running, i'll throw it on a lift at work and weld in subframe connectors.

i wish i had the money to do this car propperly, i.e strip it to bare metal my chemical dipping it, then epoxy primer etc., but we make do with what we can afford.

for before pics, see my sig. that was back in march. both fenders were pretty dinged up (driver's especially) as well as the valance, gravel gard, bumper, and both headligh assemblies.

all in all, not half bad for a first project, and a super-tight budget at that.

the paint is a single stage, using 2007 Volkswagen red paint. it was epoxy priperd, with 3 coats (they kept shooting, then sanding, then shooting etc. to get ripples out. remember, it's been painted 4 times) i got about a $1000 paint job, and another $1500+ of body work done for $960! i got an employee discount because of where i work. we've done all our cars paint jobs at a particular place, so we get their discount ;).

DSC01665.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01675.jpg

this one looks a little more orange than it actually is due to a layer of dust on the top. it sat for a few days and it was kinda windy out.

1190160891_l.jpg

that one is after it was wiped off and a 20 minute ride from the paint shop to my house. much more accurate representation of the color.

once the car is more complete, i'll put together a photo gallery of everything that has been done. i've taken pictures of just about everything that has been accomplished, as well as pictures during each accomplishment, showing how and what was done.

just thought i'd share my ride!

Attachments

• DSC01665.jpg
    DSC01665.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC01680.jpg
    DSC01680.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC01675.jpg
    DSC01675.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 53
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks good, just be thankful you have a classic stang at 18. If you decide this is the car for you to keep and cherish years from now then there is always time to strip it and do it right. My car had 3 coats inluding the original and I battled for 2 years about whether to keep touching it up or lay down a 4th. Some times I think my accident was a blessing in disguise. I still have back problems but all the insurance money finally allowed me to strip her down and finally build the car of my dreams.

Pakrat said:
Looks good, just be thankful you have a classic stang at 18. If you decide this is the car for you to keep and cherish years from now then there is always time to strip it and do it right. My car had 3 coats inluding the original and I battled for 2 years about whether to keep touching it up or lay down a 4th. Some times I think my accident was a blessing in disguise. I still have back problems but all the insurance money finally allowed me to strip her down and finally build the car of my dreams.

lets pray that it gets monster trucked by a tow truck when it's parked then! :p

Way to go. Wow it looks good. I am doing my paint myself. Probably put in 600 hours now and I've spent about 1800 so far. Still lots of work left and I hope it turns out looking as good as yours.