Painting Engine Compartment

Discussion in 'Mustang Sound & Shine All' started by jaystang50, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jaystang50

jaystang50 New Member

Well I bought an 85 GT and I've torn the motor out and I'm looking to clean things up a bit and next on my list is painting the engine compartment. I have a gallon of Antique Black Chassis Saver paint that I'll be using, but I have a few prep questions that hopefully somebody can answer.

The engine compartment has some minor surface rust and pitting going on. Nothing bad at all, just something you'd expect from a 26 year old car. Most of the engine bay is in rather good shape with the factory primer still intact. I'm actually impressed with how well the car was maintained. I would like the finish to look good...it's not a show car, but I still want good results. Should I use a filler primer first to even out any imperfections or just start shooting the Chassis Saver in there? A friend of mine gave me some Rustoleum aerosol filler primer, but I want to make sure I'm not going to get any paint flaking off or anything like that. My only concern is making sure the CS is compatible with whatever primer I may have to use.

I appreciate any feedback that anybody may be able to give.