Pioneer AVIC-N1 / XBox Questions

Alright, here goes. First of all, my specs:

Basically unmodded '02 GT Coupe.
Stock Speakers/Stock Amps w/wiring harness
Pioneer AVIC-N1 head unit

Two questions:

1.) I'm trying to hook my XBox up to it (or a PS2 or GameCube) and I've been able to connect the RCAs to the hideaway unit without problem. I bought a power inverter rated at approximately 140 watts, 110 volt. Plugged the XBox (and GameCube) into the inverter, which was plugged into my cigarette lighter. They both powered fine, but the screen had annoying lines on it and the speakers crackled. This occurred whether the vehicle was on or off. I tried a higher wattage inverter, same problem.

So, on a whim, I got a huge extension cable and plugged the XBox/GameCube into my house outlet and eliminated the inverter entirely. Bingo, life's good. My question? What's the problem with the inverter? Voltage? Connection? Wattage (doubtful)? How do I get power to this thing that isn't going to cause the flicker/speaker fuzz. This is driving me insane, and I'm sick of ripping my dash apart to run wires, so I'd love to know what's causing this problem once and for all.

2.) Not sure how much anyone knows about the AVIC-N1 but when I go to 3D Calibration mode in the Navigation section, I get a Speed Pulse of 1 or 0 (which I think should be your actual speed) and my Learning Status is "Simple Hybrid". From what I can gather, this means that my Vehicle Speed Sensor wire isn't attached properly. I'm not sure that's the case, but I have a suspicion that it is. If this is the case, where is that wire located, and does a novice (like myself) have a snowballs chance in hell of hooking it up properly? I've heard the wire isn't entirely necessary but will significantly aid map generation and GPS.

Thanks a BILLION for any replies,
James

• Sponsors (?)

i have the N1 as well. I get the same thing when I look at the 3D calibration mode. I know that i tapped into the VSS wire properly. The speed it shows me on the screen in very accurate. Did you install the Avic or did you have it professionally installed? Look up "Rostra" on google. They do crusie control systems and they have a section there where you can look up your vehicle and it tells you which wire and where your VSS is.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I had it professionally installed because I didn't have the time to mess with it. If I go into the Vehicle Dynamics, the speed shows up relatively well. It's just the 3D calibration that bugged me. I also can't do the "slope" setting...it gives me an error. All of the acceleration ones work relatively well.

Assuming it was installed properly, I can't figure out why the unit isn't in 3D Hybrid mode yet (which I guess means it's learned enough to be very accurate). I haven't tried going into a tunnel, but a lot of times I notice that it'll think I'm still going on a road after I've turned, and eventually it will realize...but only after a few seconds at least.

yeah i noticed the same thing.
I've had mine installed for quite a while now, like I think my mileage that it keeps track of is at like 8000 km or something like that. Mine is still a simple hybrid as well. I'm pretty sure that you cant get the slope reading until it learns 3D hybrid. I'm also wondering how long it takes for it to learn this stuff. I'm on the sound team at a local shop, next time i pop in there I will ask them about this. I havent had the Avic in for about a month now, it was in my old car and it got totalled mid October and I haven't had time to put it in the Mustang yet. But I do remember it sometimes not being entirely sure what road I was on when I turned. Eventually it figures it out.

I been looking for a new head unit and I have to admit the one you guys have looks very nice !
I have found serveral on Ebay for about 1450.00 brand new is this a good deal? Also what would the installation costs be for this item?

Thats not a bad price. I bought mine on a pre-order thing so I had it before the majority of the dealers did and before it was actually available on the Pioneer website. One thing I would definately recommend is the extended warranty, see as it is a fairly new product. I can't remember exactly what it costs (I think it was like $250-$300 CDN), but it extends the warranty to 3 years. Definately provides peace of mind when you're spending this much money on a head unit.

As for installation prices I'm not too sure. I did mine myself. It took me about 5 or 6 hours, but a shop should be able to do it quicker than that. It was my first time installing an Avic and I made sure absolutely everything was hidden. They really aren't all that hard to install. The screen mounts just like a regular head unit would and hooks up to the speaker wiring the same way. The only tricky (and it really isnt very hard) part is finding a place to mount the processor (separate unit from the screen, I mounted mine under my seat) and running the VSS wire and GPS antenna wire.
I would definately recommend this head unit. The screen is quite clear, it gives you a decent amount of audio settings to play with and once you have the GPS you will never want to drive without it. Also something else to consider would be to add on the voice controller. I did and it was an awsome addition to the package. Basically it lets you tell the the Avic what you want instead of having to touch the screen for everything. THere is also a processor that you can add on that with a center channel will give you full 5.1 surround sound.

Hope this helps you make your decision. Feel free to ask any other questions you have and I will answer them the best that I can.

Chris

Wow thx for the great reply 95GT!

I have decided to go with a local shop for the purchase and install , they knocked the price down to 1700.00 and the said they would throw in a viper 2way alarm for 210.00 so for the whole install it will be 2200.00. BUT here is the catcher! they lured me in by offering the head unit for 300 below their listed price and then said they would cut me deal on the alarm but when I got to the store they told me I needed to replace all my speakers cause the avic wont link with the Mach 460, This didnt sound right and I suspected that he is trying to make up for the lost money on the alarm and head unit reduction. I did some research that nigh and found the scoche adapter which would prevent me from having to replace all my speakers. I called the shop the next day and I got the excuse that he didnt know about the adapter and the install guy said sound quality might suffer. Is this true ? I think that I am gettign a good deal now b/c they are now not able to charge me for speaker and their install. So total for Avic-N1 and Viper791XV plus install is 2200.00 GOOD ? OK ? BAD?

I would say that is a pretty good price to have them supply both the Avic and the alarm and then do the install. I for one definately know the dealers didn't have a lot of room to move on the Avics when they first came out.
I have never heard of it not being able to link up with the current stereo in a car before. I definately would not assume that the sound quality would suffer, if anything I would expect to see an increase in sound quality due to the number of adjustments the Avic will allow you to make. It does a fairly decent job of allowing you to customize the sound throughout the vehicle. I think they were just trying to suck you in. Unfortunately many shops see it as fair game to try and convince someone who is new to the whole thing that they need more than they really do. The only way I could ever see it affecting sound quality would be if it had something to do with an amplifier or a processor. Simply swapping out the speakers for another set wont change the sound properties of the Avic.. it's just gonna change the quality of your speaker. If you are happy with the way your speakers sound now, I can see no reason why they would sound any worse with the Avic in.

On another note, there is one thing that you will definately have to try if you decide to get the Avic (or any DVD head unit for that matter). Burn some music videos! The sound quality is not as good as a CD, but still decent, but there is no cooler feeling than having a music video playing instead of a CD. If the shop installs the Avic the absolute same way the manual tells you to, it will most likely be wired to not allow DVD viewing when the parking brake is off. This is an easy bypass. I can't remember whether or not it needs to be grounded or on the hot wire from the E brake, but whichever one it is, you can just hook it up to a constant ground (if thats what it says) or constant hot wire and it will allow you to have DVDs playing will the car is in motion.
I would say that the alarm is definately a good idea, especially the two way. There would be no worse feeling than walking out and finding your new headunit jacked. Unfortunately some people dont understand the concept of working for things.

Anyways good luck with everything, I have no doubt you will be happy if you decide to get the Avic. If you have more questions feel free to ask away.

Chris

Can the mach 460 Cd player that is below the head unit still be used with the avic ? If so that would be nice since the navigation cd is kinda in the way if you want to listen to a cd

I'm sure there is probably a way to do that. However the Avic does have a feature that allows you to navigate while listening to a CD. You put the navigation CD in and decide where you want to go, then you can just eject the NAV CD. The Avic saves the route information and all the roads within a certain radius of the planned route. That way you can just put a CD or DVD in and still navigate.

I picked up my cobra with my newly installed avic n1 head unit and viper 791xv alarm :D ! I must say that I am fully impressed with the new head unit ! There was no problems with the intall into the Mach 460 and the sound quality is great.

The only thing that I want fixed ASAP is the parking brake disable function. 95GT can you give me some clues as to what needs to be done so I can get all the units functions working while I drive. Thanx in advance buddy

well go figure at lunch I lift the cup tray in the center console and what do I see but 2 new wires one red and one black. I guess all i have to do now is find a nice place to ground the black wire.

yeah thats pretty much all it is. I know when I installed mine I definately didn't want any limitations on when I could use it. Unfortunately for liability reasons Pioneer had to do it.
I'm glad to hear you're happy with it so far. You'll most likely find yourself using the accelerometers and seeing how many g's you can accelerate just for the hell of it... i know i did.