PLEASE HELP - T5 in a 66, Clutch Issues

Hello, I work for a local garage in my area and am having some issues. A customer brought us a 1967 Mustang coupe with a T5 and a 303 from a foxbody. I put a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel in to match with the T5/302 combo. The car was kept with the original clutch linkages from the 67. He did add the fulcrum piece for the fork to pivot. However I cannot get the clutch to disengage. My theory is that i may have made a mistake when I used the throwout bearing from the T5 kit while still having the linkage style clutch. Any help is very appreciated I've tried everything that I personally know.

• Sponsors (?)

20240123_124811.jpg

Attachments

• 20240123_124716.jpg
    20240123_124716.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240123_124701.jpg
    20240123_124701.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 30
If you used a Fox Mustang style clutch and throw out bearing it requires a pretty significant amount of force to move the pressure plate.

Somebody will come along that's more familiar with both systems. I'm wondering if that setup has enough [throw] in it to run the clutch.

In the meantime, I'm going to [copy] this thread link over to Fox section too.

Just be careful. There are gear heads over there. :hide:

Reactions: 1 user
I would just convert it over to a cable system and be done with it but give Mustang Steve a call and they may be able to help you figure out what you have going. The factory clutch linkage in those cars is not the best as they get in the way of headers, have a lot of moving parts, and typically require more pedal pressure than a cable style.

When the clutch is adjusted, the TOB should be in constant contact with the flywheel and spin with the flywheel at all times. There is no air gap when the pedal is fully [out] or not depressed.

You want to lightly pre-load the TOB against the pressure plate.

You may be missing this part:

I am assuming that the clutch fork is for the 65/66 car but without a part number who knows. The way the clutch fork is being engages with the current setup is not what I would call well engineered. The folks at Modern Driveline are also super knowledgeable and could probably line you out on this pretty quick.

Reactions: 1 user
From memory, which is not functioning at 100% these days, the t5/5.0 bell housing uses a pull type lever, the t10/toploader bell housing is a push type lever, either use the kit listed above or convert to cable.