Posi rear installation help

Ok I aquired a posi unit from a friend that is off a 1986 Mustang GT 5.0, the unit only has 26 miles on it and it cost me a whopping $3 (probably for a pack of smokes) But anyways im curious if I can pull out the middle... (excuse me for my lack of knowledge with rear ends) but what all do I have to do? does it just slide out and the new one go in? or do I have to take out the axles or anything? also about how long do you suppose it will take? just walk me through it. Thanks in advance,

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

1WildII said:
Ok I aquired a posi unit from a friend that is off a 1986 Mustang GT 5.0, the unit only has 26 miles on it and it cost me a whopping $3 (probably for a pack of smokes) But anyways im curious if I can pull out the middle... (excuse me for my lack of knowledge with rear ends) but what all do I have to do? does it just slide out and the new one go in? or do I have to take out the axles or anything? also about how long do you suppose it will take? just walk me through it. Thanks in advance,

Chris
Well, the 86 L/S will be either from a 7.5" diff or an 8.8"...downside is that I don't think it will fit in the housing if you have a stock MII rear end (which is probably an 8")

1WildII said:
well it did come with the entire rear end, any chance I could just swap the entire rears instead of the guts?

Depends how good a welder/fabricator you are. The MII uses leaf springs, while the 87 is a 4-link with coils. You would need to remove most of the 4-link mounts and weld on leaf perch plates and shock mounts. If the 86 is a 7.5" then it probably isn't worth the hassle (the 7.5 is a fairly strong diff, but it isn't as tough as the stock 8"). Might be worth doing if its an 8.8 though