Power steering options??

mustangmods

Oct 25, 2005
I'm planning on buying a new or referbed power steering rack for my 77 MII and was wondering if anyone had retro-fitted a newer P/S pump. I'm doing a complete engine transplant from a 87 5.0 and it would be nice to keep things simple on the accessory drive. Can it be done? Is there a difference in pump pressure that may damage the new rack and pinion? Hose fittings and pump line compatability?:shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I guess that this must not be a very popular concept. But i,m not going to keep that paint can looking old P/S pump. Probablly doesn't work anyways. Maybe I'll just drop in a flaming river manual rack and pinion and go on.....

i dont really know anything about pressures from power steering pumps, so i cant give any advice on it. i would think that you could swap a different one in and use it.....as for the manual rack, i switched from power to manual in mine and there are a few things to know about it. the manual has a longer neck than the power steering unit, so you will need a different steering shaft for the rag joint to hook up. or you can go the route that i did and cut your original, order a borgeson joint and weld it together. other than that, it wasnt too bad of a swap. oh yeah, if your running a 302 with headers, you will have to really look close at the clearance between the borgeson and the header. mine was pretty close, but it does clear. good luck!!

My '78 had the "new" style plastic reservoir pump on it. When I replaced the rack, the first two sent both had '79 up style fittings on the pressure side, so I'd guess that there really isn't a lot of difference in the rack internals from II to fox.

this is easily done and works just fine. im using one from a 95 mustang
hit the j-yard walk up to any ford product between 78-98 and cut the pressure hose half way down (you need the fitting that threads in the pump)
now remove your II pressure hose from rack to pump and you can bring it to napa who makes custom p/s hoses.. it cost me around 25 bucks.
i will try to find a good pic for you...