Priced too high

roboto1720

Aug 5, 2005
I left the local Ford Dealer Today very dejected. The service manager told me I couldn't afford a new 2007 Shelby Mustang and suggested I buy a GT mustang. I was first told $40,000 by my dealer. I also hear the same price at the Oklahoma City car show by a Ford Rep. Now my dealer is telling me $60 to $65,000. That's a bunch of Bull !!! I told him I would never buy another Ford product again if he tried to charge over sticker price for the shelby. I have been buying new Fords since 1972. He just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders like O Well !!!!!! I bought a new 1999 lightning when they first came back supercharged. I ordered it in March and paid X plan price. They only made 6000 lightnings and they didn't try to rape people. The Ford rep said they would build 10,000 shelby's and any Ford Dealer could sell they. I'll just shop around or wait for the 2008. thanks for listening !

• Sponsors (?)

roboto1720 said:
I told him I would never buy another Ford product again if he tried to charge over sticker price for the shelby.

roboto1720 said:
I'll just shop around or wait for the 2008. thanks for listening !

Which one is it? Have you been hiding in a closet for the last 6 months? Once they dropped the branded SVT Cobra and made it a SHELBY GT500 the price point went through the roof. Not trying to sound like an @$$ but the truth hurts and these cars (at least the first 2 every dealer gets) are going to go for far more than MSRP.

Don't be mad at the dealer, you should be mad at the guy willing to pay 65k for it. Asking the dealer to sell it for MSRP is like you walking past 25k on the floor and not picking it up, it just is not going to happen.

I also would not be surprised if one or two slip through the cracks and be sold for minimal profit, and these will most likely be on ebay a day later for 20k more than they bought it for.

The Law of Supply and Demand :flag:

XStanger said:
The Law of Supply and Demand

Exactly, you can't blame a dealer for wanting to make a profit.

I honestly don't mind listening to people talk about how much they want this car even though it's out of their price range, but I'm sick of people complaining about the price as if they're entitled to the car at MSRP because they're a mustang fan or because they've bought Ford vehicles in the past. Do you think the dealer cares? I bought an 05GT - so should I now be entitled to get a GT500 at MSRP? If you can't afford it, tough $#!+. I can't afford an enzo ferrari, but I don't go around complaining about it.

Supply and Demand

Yes, we all agree with the law of supply and demand. But then the Ford reps shouldn't say "It'll be a $40K car." Its not. Just be truthful. Don't position it as a "working man's" alternative to the Corvette. It isn't. $65K is $65K. Just be honest about it.

mike0783 said:
Yes, we all agree with the law of supply and demand. But then the Ford reps shouldn't say "It'll be a $40K car." Its not. Just be truthful. Don't position it as a "working man's" alternative to the Corvette. It isn't. $65K is $65K. Just be honest about it.
There will be some (few) dealers that will offer MSRP. The problem is that most of these cars are spoken for. Most dealers will charge what the customers are willing to pay. Don't blame Ford or the dealers. Ford created a hot product which is what they are supposed to do. The dealers are making the best profit they can, which again, is what they're supposed to do. I think I'll wait to 2008 and buy one on A Plan.:D

who's complaining?

What tics me about this Shelby GT500 price thing is NOT the price or if I had bought 4000 Fords in the past. It's the fact that they arn't selling a SHELBY built mustang! IT's a SVT vehicle with a Shelby name plate on it. It won't be a collectable car like a lot of people think. IT's like owning a lightning or a Cobra mustang of which I have owned both. I kept them a while and sold them both. Did I make a bunch of money? Heck no!!!!!!!! They devalued like most Fords or Chevys or Dodges. This car is way over priced at sticker price! Like most all American made cars. Way over priced! If they weren't they would hold their value. A'm I right? You can pay $40,000 for a new Blazer or Explorer and a year later they will give you $17,000 trade in for it. I call that over priced.If I wanted to pay $65,000 for a Shelby name plated Mustang I could but that would be a bad finanical move. later

It is as much SHELBY built Mustang that has ever been built. Sorry but your wrong about this car not holding its value. It is the most powerful Mustang ever built. That will keep the value up.

You must have been the one hiding in the closet if you think that SVT has nothing to do with this car! They have EVERTHING to do with this car! Shelby is just a name plate put on a SVT mustang. The only thing he had to do with this car is look at it and say Yeah it's a nice car and it should sell well. Where do I sign and when do I get my first royalty check? That's about it ! IT's all SVT which isn't a bad thing BUT It won't be A collectable like the old Shelby cars!
XStanger said:
Which one is it? Have you been hiding in a closet for the last 6 months? Once they dropped the branded SVT Cobra and made it a SHELBY GT500 the price point went through the roof. Not trying to sound like an @$$ but the truth hurts and these cars (at least the first 2 every dealer gets) are going to go for far more than MSRP.

Don't be mad at the dealer, you should be mad at the guy willing to pay 65k for it. Asking the dealer to sell it for MSRP is like you walking past 25k on the floor and not picking it up, it just is not going to happen.

I also would not be surprised if one or two slip through the cracks and be sold for minimal profit, and these will most likely be on ebay a day later for 20k more than they bought it for.

The Law of Supply and Demand :flag:

cobra R

[The Cobra R was also the hottest mustang ever built and Ford built just a few of these cars. I had two different Ford dealers call me wanting to sell them at discount prices because they couldn't sell them first at the inflated price and then at sticker price. I regret not buying at least one of them. laterQUOTE=07SHELBYCOBRA]It is as much SHELBY built Mustang that has ever been built. Sorry but your wrong about this car not holding its value. It is the most powerful Mustang ever built. That will keep the value up.[/QUOTE]

roboto1720 said:
You must have been the one hiding in the closet if you think that SVT has nothing to do with this car! They have EVERTHING to do with this car! Shelby is just a name plate put on a SVT mustang. The only thing he had to do with this car is look at it and say Yeah it's a nice car and it should sell well. Where do I sign and when do I get my first royalty check? That's about it ! IT's all SVT which isn't a bad thing BUT It won't be A collectable like the old Shelby cars!

If you read my post, I never said SVT had nothing to do with it! I said once they dropped the NAME SVT COBRA and made is SHELBY GT500 is when the pricing got out of control.

What really upsets me is why would Ford not build enough GT500's to go around? Do they not need to sell cars? Did I miss the news where they regained their market share? I didn't realize that they want to turn a lot of paying customers away at the door. Where will those customers go? TO SPEND THEIR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE! 65K get real, get a ZO6

Black94Cobra said:
What really upsets me is why would Ford not build enough GT500's to go around? Do they not need to sell cars? Did I miss the news where they regained their market share? I didn't realize that they want to turn a lot of paying customers away at the door. Where will those customers go? TO SPEND THEIR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE! 65K get real, get a ZO6

Who's the person that says how many is enough to go around? And if they did build until no more people wanted them. Would you then be happy when the resale value was next to nothing? And if you think that Ford dealers are the only ones charging over MSRP. I've heard reports of Chevy dealers asking $20k over MSRP on the Z06.

SVTdriver said:
Who's the person that says how many is enough to go around? And if they did build until no more people wanted them. Would you then be happy when the resale value was next to nothing? And if you think that Ford dealers are the only ones charging over MSRP. I've heard reports of Chevy dealers asking $20k over MSRP on the Z06.

Don't buy a "new" car based on resale value. At $40,000, this is a hell of a car, period - buy it based on that and you will be happy....even if it is next year before you can get one..

If you have to have one, I guess you will pay out the nose for it. Have fun, but don't talk about resale, cars are in general, a terrible investment. Plus no one will ever sell these cars because they will be super highly collectable Ford SVT Shelby Cobra GT500's, right? They will never go down in value only up, thats why people are making such a big deal about this right?

They also did this price gouging with the supercharged Lightnings, 15k over sticker is what my bud was told. He bought a Chevy!

I wouldn't pay over $40k, it's a nice car, but it's still a Mustang. As soon as the first few thousand people with too much money get theirs, the price will drop. It's already dropping on the Z06s. Also, it may be a better idea to wait, not only will it save you $$$, but it will provide time for any bugs(recalls/TSBs) to surface which will be corrected on newer cars.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about this car becoming too much of a collectors item, 8k doesn't sound like allot, but weren't the 2000Rs produced in the hundreds?? It's simply too hot of a car for Ford to make it exclusive enough for collecting.

I just talked to my dealer. He says they are now expecting the mark-up to bring the price up to $75k, which I will agree is far too much for a mustang.

I wonder if I'm able to sell my first spot in line...hehe

stangonline said:
Don't buy a "new" car based on resale value. At $40,000, this is a hell of a car, period - buy it based on that and you will be happy....even if it is next year before you can get one..

I understand you don't buy the car for it's resale value. However when talking about a cars "worth". One thing that comes up is

" They devalued like most Fords or Chevys or Dodges. This car is way over priced at sticker price! Like most all American made cars. Way over priced! If they weren't they would hold their value. A'm I right? You can pay $40,000 for a new Blazer or Explorer and a year later they will give you $17,000 trade in for it."

The real problem is this is a never ending circular argument. Somepeople think more should be made (So more people can own them). And other people think less (So there is some resale value in them). But you can't have it both ways. Example. 94/95 Cobra. It functionally was little more than a warmed up GT (Springs, engine, brakes, Yes there were a few visual differences. But the hood was even the same.). Yet you can't buy a 94/95 Cobra for as little as the same year Gt. The Cobra has a better resale value. But if you built as many as standard Gt. Then the Cobra value would be nearly the same as the Gt.