Which Supercharger is better???

• Procharger

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Vortech

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

cobra232 said:
mild detonation most always can't be heard but it is there.

dyno it again with 94 octane + 104 booster or try to get some 105 octane gas.

did you get an A/F reading or was it just a dyno with no tune?

my bet is you are leaning out on top or too hot or on top for the A/F ratio.

try chilling the intake off for about 20 minutes with 2 8lb bags of ice then run the dyno as soon as possible or even with the ice still on the intake. i'll bet the problem dissapears.

which autolits are you using? are they the correct heat range for the blower?

with a Vortech I'd go with autolite 604's gapped at .035" or Champion RS12YC (401) gapped at the same. or switch to Denso iridium IT-20's and don't gapp them, as they are at about .048" which is fine for a blower

If you go to the link in my sig, you will see the graph on the photos page. The a/f held strong at 5K, I wanna say around 11.5?? I'm running the same plugs Michael Konor is (or was when I bought mine); Autolite 103. I'm not sure of the heat range compared to the stockers, but he seemed to do alright with them. My issue with this whole thing is that before we started squeezing more power out of this thing, I could run it up to 5400 or so fine. its when we started tweeking with it that this issue seemed to arise. We found alot more power, but also some new tuning issues as well. I think the next wise move would be to get this thing intercooled, so I am going to be intercooler shopping in the near future.

Oh and Greenbioch... if you agree with Cobra232 on this issue, then you still agree with me. If your a gambling man, then you would be smart to bet that I voted Procharger up top, not Vortech. ;)

atlblue2000 said:
If you go to the link in my sig, you will see the graph on the photos page. The a/f held strong at 5K, I wanna say around 11.5?? I'm running the same plugs Michael Konor is (or was when I bought mine); Autolite 103. I'm not sure of the heat range compared to the stockers, but he seemed to do alright with them. My issue with this whole thing is that before we started squeezing more power out of this thing, I could run it up to 5400 or so fine. its when we started tweeking with it that this issue seemed to arise. We found alot more power, but also some new tuning issues as well. I think the next wise move would be to get this thing intercooled, so I am going to be intercooler shopping in the near future.

Oh and Greenbioch... if you agree with Cobra232 on this issue, then you still agree with me. If your a gambling man, then you would be smart to bet that I voted Procharger up top, not Vortech. ;)
OK looked at the dyno.

it is not spark blowout. the 103's are a good blower plug.

you are either pegging the MAF or getting too much turbulance above 5,000 through the MAF.

most likely too much turbulance which in most cases will cause it to run a tad rich or normal but the signal from the MAF to the EEC off and timing is adjusted incorrectly by the EEC, which can cause misfires and a similar condition as blowout.

get an IC on there and go with a Univer calibrated for 42's

also who burnt your SCT chip? was it VMP or sombody else? justin at VMP is about the best out there so if he did it i seriously doubt the chip burn is the problem. if Justin did burn the chip before a dyno tune was done then send him the A/F readings and dyno sheet and he may be able to correct the problem.

i'll bet the problem is MAF turbulance now that i have looked at your dyno graph. i could be wrong but check it out just in case. good luck. i hope you get the gremlins worked out :nice:

cobra232 said:
OK looked at the dyno.

it is not spark blowout. the 103's are a good blower plug.

you are either pegging the MAF or getting too much turbulance above 5,000 through the MAF.

most likely too much turbulance which in most cases will cause it to run a tad rich or normal but the signal from the MAF to the EEC off and timing is adjusted incorrectly by the EEC, which can cause misfires and a similar condition as blowout.

get an IC on there and go with a Univer calibrated for 42's

also who burnt your SCT chip? was it VMP or sombody else? justin at VMP is about the best out there so if he did it i seriously doubt the chip burn is the problem. if Justin did burn the chip before a dyno tune was done then send him the A/F readings and dyno sheet and he may be able to correct the problem.

i'll bet the problem is MAF turbulance now that i have looked at your dyno graph. i could be wrong but check it out just in case. good luck. i hope you get the gremlins worked out :nice:

Okay, now I think we might be nailing down the problem. Justin did burn the original chip, but that was when I was so rich. The new numbers with the better a/f is via an SCT microtuner being programmed by JDM via email with my local shop doing the dyno operating. Justin did say he would look at the SCT tune file so I am waiting to here back from the shop about getting that. If he thinks he sees the problem in the program, he could just modify the tune and email it to my shop. But, Justin did say that the graph shows a sometimes common problem of the MAF transfer function being thrown off because of the tubing right before and right after the MAF. Something I considered doing, at least until I got the intercooler, was to move the maf and air filter up into the engine compartment to keep the tubing as straight as possible both in front of and right behind the MAF. I know it would be drawing hotter air in, but at this point I don't think it matters with the way the blower heats up the air. What do you think about that? Worth a shot, at least until I get the I/C?

Thx for all the help, Cobra.

atlblue2000 said:
Okay, now I think we might be nailing down the problem. Justin did burn the original chip, but that was when I was so rich. The new numbers with the better a/f is via an SCT microtuner being programmed by JDM via email with my local shop doing the dyno operating. Justin did say he would look at the SCT tune file so I am waiting to here back from the shop about getting that. If he thinks he sees the problem in the program, he could just modify the tune and email it to my shop. But, Justin did say that the graph shows a sometimes common problem of the MAF transfer function being thrown off because of the tubing right before and right after the MAF. Something I considered doing, at least until I got the intercooler, was to move the maf and air filter up into the engine compartment to keep the tubing as straight as possible both in front of and right behind the MAF. I know it would be drawing hotter air in, but at this point I don't think it matters with the way the blower heats up the air. What do you think about that? Worth a shot, at least until I get the I/C?

Thx for all the help, Cobra.

absoutely, the transfer function is probably off which is caused by turbulance. the best thing to do is have a long straight tube at least 8" long between the filter and the MAF to reduce turbulance.

i would just switch to a blow through design with a Univer and an IC and the problems will most likely be solved and add about 30-40 hp to the deal

come over to either 3.8mustang.com or v6power.net and discuss the problem with some of the guy's there

there i s cool dude by the name TR2002 on 3.8mustang.com who was running an 80MM lightning MAF on a drawthrough procharger setup and had the same problem. transfer function caused by turbulance. he went to a blow through Univer and as far as i know he is fine now.

97v6Silver said:
you could get a machine shop make you an adaptor silly :rolleyes:
if it's that easy why don't you do it silly? :chair: :chair: :chair: :stupid: :doh: :doh:

the adapter plate engineering and final cutting would run you as much as the blower itself.

get some knowledge before posting such retarded comments

cobra232 said:
if it's that easy why don't you do it silly? :chair: :chair: :chair: :stupid: :doh: :doh:

the adapter plate engineering and final cutting would run you as much as the blower itself.

get some knowledge before posting such retarded comments
Dude, it 97V6Silver. Don't get hyped up. You know, only every 10th post he has makes sense. The others... well, just read the line under his name.