Put on the rack

Mustangj

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2001
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Looking to do some solo II, open road racing and open track day events in the II. When I restored/rebuilt the car I put in a rebuilt manual steering rack in so I could free up some horse power and reduce complexity of running power steering pump and lines. How many turns lock to lock is a II manual rack? feels like 100 :rlaugh: I have been looking at flaming river racks. Has any one here used the flaming river rack or other aftermarket rack?

• Sponsors (?)

My pump went out on mine when I had it on the road. I took the belt off and ran without it for 4 years. It handled fine. Only difficult time was in parking lots. Once you're moving 5 mph it wasn't bad at all.

The best thing I discovered about manual steering was when I installed the stroker motor with the standard passenger car oil pan. (because the II pan will not clear a main-stud girdle) I don't think that the factory power steering rack will fit with a standard oil pan, because even the much skinnier manual rack on my car is very close to touching the pan. (The other issue with the pan was the starter, which I solved by installing a mini-starter)

77sleeper said:
I am running my power rack with an external "eclipse" fluid resevior and no pump. fluid circulates and steers like a dream

"Eclipse" as in like Mitsubishi??? :shrug: If so what year? We have some totaled diamond star cars at work. Have any photos? As you may have noticed steering trivia is lost on me, how many turns lock to lock is a fox 5.0l Mustang? They feel like what I want. If your not careful the rear end of the Mach catches up with the front. :D

here you go
ps.jpg

I checked into the price of a rebuilt power rack today. Would you believe $167.00 + 50.00 core? :canada: :shrug: I figured it would be big pimpin' money. Pretty resonable really. Are the outer tie rods different between manual and power?? I kinda remember they were, I forget.

Mustangj said:
I checked into the price of a rebuilt power rack today. Would you believe $167.00 + 50.00 core? :canada: :shrug: I figured it would be big pimpin' money. Pretty resonable really. Are the outer tie rods different between manual and power?? I kinda remember they were, I forget.

I thought they were the same rod ends, but a call to a parts store should tell you one way or the other.